Duncan

michael_cb_125

I am looking at a Duncan Coral. Are they a very popular coral. They are very expensive, but are they worth it?
Who here has them and who wants them?
Also how difficult are they to keep?
Are they more photosynthetic or are they more planktonic feeders?
Thanks-Michael

Also waht is a fair per polyp price?

BEELZEBOB

i think they are related to sun polyps.

i think that they'll eat, but are also photosynthetic.

i have not done a lot of research on them, 'cause i aint got one. yet. :D

so its kinda here-say there

vdituri

They are both photosynthetic and feedable like a candy cane.
They are from Australia's reefs.

As to whether they are worth it?....
Depends on how much you like them. I personally haven't seen one I can't live without. I have seen them for sale as a regular size and an extra lg polyp variety. Don't know if those are different species or just what they described them as.

Around here is $40 per polyp so far.

caitrina

I want one of these guys, I think they are pretty neat looking just haven't seen any in my area. Have an anniversary coming up that I buy something for the tank and this could be it........

ScubaDrew

Here is my new duncan an hour after is was in the tank! It look much better now. It eats shrimp like a hog and is open 24 hours a day.

I really like this guy. I need to get some newer pictures of it now that its opened up the rest of the way.

IMG_0868.JPG

prow

yeah they do. the ones i have seen are orange and look just like a sun polyp on steroids.

ScubaDrew

it fluoresces green under the actinic and has more color to it now that it has adjusted... I don't know if they come is anything drastically different... hmmm

michael_cb_125

Prow. Are you sure that was a duncan, it could have been a Dendrophyllia. They are like HUGE sun Polyps
product_image.gif

I have never seen an orange duncan, I sure would like to have one though.

prow

it could have been but was marked wrong. i never really looked good to be honest, not a big fan of them or polyps in general.

BEELZEBOB

yea, those are DENDROS, not duncans.

but they're like cousins. Dendros are far prettier IMHO. more expensive too, go figure

kathywithbirds

hmmm. I've seen ones labeled "duncans" once or twice and my impression was they looked like a cross between sunpolyps and (pics I've seen of) elegance corals. Like, the polyps were big and close together which kinda bent the polyps "disk" giving them a wavy kinda look. Pretty.