Dumping change water?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Where do you dump your saltwater when you do a change? Outside or down the drain? Will it kill the grass where it's been repeatedly dumped? May be a silly ?? But I've been wondering :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I have a stand up shower I dump mine in. I'd venture a guess that it would kill the grass if in the same area due to the salt.

Blndbunny

I dump water either in the shower or down the toilet. I'm not going to risk the salt near my flower gardens

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't think it is good for septic tanks......verify that though as I know i read it somewhere. Being on city sewer I could care less!

IrishSalt

I dump mine outside on drive so it drains fast into the street. Afraid of unknown putting down drain, I am on public utilities. It will kill grass & such.

LSUFireGal

I dump mine along the curb so it runs into the storm drain. I also pour it into the cracks in the driveway. Haven't needed to break out the round up since. If it is killing the weeds in the street it will def kill your grass, plus I can imagine eventually that area of your yard will smell like stale ocean.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks everyone! I sure hadn't thought about it stinking up the yard if it was continuously poured out there. I'm wanting to build a sandy area under the wooden play set in the back yard because I hate weeds growing where I can't mow easily. May dump it there and then cover it with sand later. After that, I don't know where to dump it. :lookaroun

redneckgearhead

I poured mine in the "rock" garden beside my drive thinking it would keep the grass from growing there and it did for a short time, but then I had a weed explosion! I couldn't keep the weeds cut back or killed for long, the more weeds I got the more sw I put on it, and the more weeds that came up. I now pour it on my front lawn and where I do the grass will turn really really green and grows so fast it bogs my mower down in the summer.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I pour mine on the driveway and it works very well for weed control.

Depending on how MUCH you pour and how large your septic system is it "can" have a negative effect on your system but for most of us it's not enough to really worry about. It gets greatly diluted unless you're doing a REALLY large water change on a really LARGE system.