Dry rock turning purple

Savage

Hey what up every 1 i have a question for u ,I'm starting my new 75 gallon reef tank and iv had it runing for about 4 mayb 5 months now and some ov my dry rock is turning purple and it has a bit of green and red on it as well and I was woundering if that was a good or bad thing ??

I have 4 algea eating snails
4 hermit crabs
2 chromies
1 yellow tang
2 anemonies
1 frospawn
1 star fish and 3 other fish but I can't remember wat they r calld

DaveK

Your dry rock has some algae growing on it. This can be considered a good thing as long as the algae doesn't get out of control. However, as we know, algae can easily get out of control, so closely watch the growth, and monitor nitrates and phosphates. Be prepared to move on it, if needed.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
The dry rock is in the tank? So its no longer dry correct?

..........used coral frags. half off.

Savage

How long should I need to leave my lights on so that my anemonies and my frogspawn get the light they need ?

I have a t5 light fixture with 4 moon light LEDs and 4 10k bolbs 2 ov them are blue and the other 2 are daylight

dmatt88

Savage. Dude. Lets start from the beginning. More info. I'm still trying to figure out how dry rock turns purple. :D

Savage

Haha me to at first I had some drown algae on my rock and my sand so I got some snails and hermit crabs to clean it up and after a while it went away but after that I started to notice that the rock was turning purple then after the green and red dot started to show up

dmatt88

Sounds to me like u have the beginning of a reef tank. Bravo savage. Good thing I checked what my phone autocorrected. I almost said bravo sausage. Damn smart phones.

Doogle

Ya that's about the time the coralline algae( green and pink/purple hard algae) really starts to take off. As long as it's not cynobacteria and green hair algae, your good.

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

Built347

I agree... sounds like your off to a good healthy (alive) reef tank.... one day you wont be able to see much or any of the rocks actual color... white rock is hot realestate for all kinds of algeas and creatures.. here's some of my rock if it gives you an idea..
IMG_20120621_131226.jpg

Savage

Alright thanks . So is there anything that I can give my corals so they can grow healthy and get brighter color?

fishguy4

Check out some Internet dealers, they often have products for that but it's not really necessary I just let them grown their own