dry live rock or just live rock

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree that it's great that he is doing this, but the environmental impact is just as great as as the live rock which is harvested off of storm surges. The coral rock like Marco rock, and portland cement, are both mined in quarries and there is an environmental impact from that mining.

Don't get me wrong, I have used marco rock, and tried to make my own (it fell apart after 8 months, but blame that on my skill lol), and I think it is great that we are doing this. But let's not kid ourselves, Bob Fenner makes the case that LR has a smaller impact overall when you take it all into account.

Portland is a GREAT ingredient to be used and from the "Big Picture" it's got significantly smaller environmental impact even if it were 100% virgin materials. That's just my 2 cents but I feel fairly strong on this particular point.

Regardless I LOVE Macro rocks. They looks SWEET :)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Clownfish, can you point me to where I can read his comments? I haven't heard of him and all I can find on the web are postings of people mentioning him. I'd be interested in learning more. Thanks. :)

I can't find where he said it. I may have to retract that until I can dig it up. I have read it; lord knows where - can't find it tonight

He does say that in the Conscientious Marine Aquarist that LR is a renweable resource as it is generally rubble that is broken off reefs during storms. He also states there that Florida Aquacultured Rock is environmentally sound

Sorry if I came on strong - one of my sisters has a Phd in Wildlife Conservation, and she used to ride my case until I showed her that book.

Mining is very destructive of the environment, and shouldn't be dismissed as having no footprint. Let me make that point and leave it at that.

I am all for these other methods, but LR is not nearly as destructive as you would think.

Basile

I used dry rock, Marco rock actually in my tank to create a sculpture. Now i'm starting the tank with the live rocks from my previous tank, so no die off . The cycle will be not shorter or longer but different. I won't have the big Nitrate spikes since no dead matter to decompose, i'm actually passed that and into the algae succession stage. And the rest of the cycle should be the same as any other. Bacteria succession and new algae growth and die off etc.
So with dry rock you just get a different cycle, that all , plus its cheaper.The mix of dry rock and live rock is good , your live rock will seed your dry rock faster with bacteria and coraline.

Rhodes19

Sorry if I came on strong - one of my sisters has a Phd in Wildlife Conservation, and she used to ride my case until I showed her that book.

Mining is very destructive of the environment, and shouldn't be dismissed as having no footprint. Let me make that point and leave it at that.

I am all for these other methods, but LR is not nearly as destructive as you would think.
Thanks Clownfish. No worries, I didn't think you came on strong at all. I know how you feel about defending yourself and your actions all the time. I have to do it almost on a daily basis in my profession (and at home :stars: !). I am glad to hear that collecting LR is not as destructive as we thought. I have learned over the years that most of what man does is destructive to various extent even if the intentins are good. Aquacultured rocks? I must have missed the bus on that one. Time to do some googleing! :)

Rhodes19

Can ANY type of rock be used as dry rock, to grow it into a live rock (with other live rocks)?
Jay

Hi tangerine,

My initial instinct is to say, no, not really. You have to be careful with what is in the rock such as metals. Generally, you want a rock that is porous and has a lot of surface area. In heavier, more dense rock like granite, you don't get that. You can find good base rock at LFS or on line for about $2 per lbs. Or you could make your own. I made a bunch using type III Portland cement and crushed oyster shells. Curing it to lower the pH takes a while but at $0.20 per lbs, I can wait. :D HTH. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info than I can provide at the moment.

burning2nd

Any rock from the ocean imo, but not any rock. most of the base rock in my75 is from the shores of nc outta banks while its more solid then real lr its doing what it was intended for

if we were voteing i would say dry FIji rock is were you want to be

Last edited: