drsfostersmith slowest shipping

BigJay

Seriously think I just placed my last order with them. My last shipment they lost not fedex lost btw drfostersmith lost and had to resend and this one will be delivered right at 10 days from date of purchase. They tried to tell me it shipped the day after I ordered it but it didn't ship out till 3 days after I ordered it and even then it was picked up by fed ex at darn near midnight so you might as well call it 4 days later. But since they generated my tracking number the day I placed the order for thier purposes it shipped 3 days sooner then it did. :( .
Am I being too harsh? I've never ordered from a company that ships slower or uses a slower service then the horribly snailed pace of the Fedex/USPS smart post.

BigJay

did you upgrade shipping? I have ordered 4 times in the last 2 months and every time took at least 7 days except for one that was my salt came in 4 days only because its too heavy to use FedEx/USPS smart post it had to be delivered by FedEx.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No you're right. They are VERY slow on delivery. I ordered some "replacement" salt mix because I got a "Bad Batch". It took just shy of 2 weeks. When I called about it I was told, "Our delivery procedure "allows" for up to a 2 week delivery!"

But when it comes to heavy items I can't afford to NOT use them. Their HEAVY freight is just inexpensive. I just don't order something I "need now" from them.

:)

chriswho

What did you order? I got my Remora Pro skimmer from Salty Supply for way less than Dr.FostersSmith and it arrived in 5 or 6 days I think. They have pretty decent prices, best I could find. Also I got 160 gallons of salt mix from Pet Solutions for pretty cheap.You might check them out.

BigJay

yeah I am going to start shopping elsewhere. I never used them before 2 months ago. They had a sale on reef crystals with an internet coupon so I got sucked into the price and just stuck with them.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
*Hint Hint* Try our sponsors... many of them offer good discounts for RS members and have amazing Customer Support. I try to always "shop my RS home" first!!

sambrinar

Hmmm I have ordered literally everything from Dr F and S and/or liveaquaria and never had a problem with them. Always got items in <7 days, upgraded or not....

Now Fex is a different story, I ordered LR from liveaquaria, and they delivered it to the wrong office, on a Friday.. The guy said,, well he'd been ordering fish so I just assumed (you know what happens when you assume) it was his.. it sat over the weekend and I finally got it on Monday..

Liveaquaria was gonna reship without question... Sorry about your experience

michael_cb_125

Sorry you have had a bad experience with Drs Foster and Smith
I order about 50% of my drgoods from them. (the other 50% comes from Marine Depot). And I order almost ALL of my livestock from them. I have only had one negative experience with them. They charged my Debit card twice, causing my account to over drafted. But I have never had any problems with the customer service or shipping times. I usually get all my orders within 5 days. And all of my orders ship out either the same day or the following.
Dont be too harsh on them, everyone makes mistakes, and companies are no exception. Id give them another chance.
~Michael

michael_cb_125

I never said they didnt. I was just commenting on my experiences with
Drs. F&S. I know that our Vendor do allot for us, and I am thankful for them.
~Michael

BigJay

I would like to note. I ordered another bucket of salt from drs F and S through ebay and it arrived within 4 days. I put on my feedback that I wish all there shipping was as fast as the salt. I got a message from them very concerned about this. I am not sure if because its in a forum that could effect sales or the right person saw it. But I got a very concerned message saying they are going to look into the problem and talk to the warehouse manager why some of my shipments actually took nearly 48-72 hours to actually leave the warehouse.
I explained to her that I she does not need to look into it for me as I have taken my business elsewhere where I am receiving my shipments in 3 to 5 days , after being blown off by customer service emails , but she was insistant that she is going to investigate this. Regardless hopefully something will be done and I wasn't getting more smoke.
For those of you ordering from them when you get a tracking number but it doesn't actually show that it has been shipped that just a tracking number has been generated in 24 hours or less I'd let them know.

jenglish

I have had a mixed bag w/ F&S. I had a broken bulb that they replaced promptly but with a lower quality bulb. I ordered a Noxa extreme light and it took 5 weeks to get here b/c they kept getting back ordered. They were very polite about it when I called after 3 weeks but I would have appreciated an email.

smith66

I ordered 10 buckets of reefcrystals salt from them. It was a "bad known batch" of salt. My magnesium tested at 950 NOT 1300ppm like natural sea water. I was very bummed by their response back to me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Really? What WAS their response?

I had the same problem with them over the same thing and they readily replaced it after I spoke with them in-depth on the phone and we went over all of my test procedures, test results and answered some questions. It was SLOW getting here but it came and was at no cost to me.

faust

i've had very good luck with them and their cust service. i do shop rs suppliers but on salt their hard to beat when you add shipping. the longest its taken for an order to get to me is 4 days

smith66

Really? What WAS their response?

I had the same problem with them over the same thing and they readily replaced it after I spoke with them in-depth on the phone and we went over all of my test procedures, test results and answered some questions. It was SLOW getting here but it came and was at no cost to me.

I did not know there was a problem with the salt and used all 10 buckets. Their response is since I used the salt i have "no proof" it was due to bad salt. My magnesium is testing at 950ppm. They say their are "may factors including human error" why the test is so low. They said they will send me "one big bottle" of tech M to help me, but for my almost 600 gallons of tank volume i need 3 GALLONS not one big bottle !!!
We are still "discussing it", but I have spent hours on the phone already ! GRR