drip rate/bubble count for bigger tanks

tankgirl

dgas, that's great info!!! When you say
"I started the effluent to a constant stream", you don't mean full open throttle do you? Also, once you get the pH of the effluent right, do you measure pH regularly, or does it stay steady?

dgasmd

Mike:

I am hurt nobody told me about this site and the switch. I had to hear it from Robz a couple of days ago. Good to be in though. You are right though, it helps at the begining when doing it for the first time.

Tankgirl:
No, I did not meant a full throtle gush. I turned my efluent valve so there would be a small continious stream. That is all.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Alberto...bro ...its only been up for like 2 days, lol. You got to stop hanging on RC all the time. And give Rob crap I told him over the phone a week ago that it was coming:p. Best thing is though your in now.

Mike

dgasmd

2 days?? I thought this had been up for a while. I felt like the kid that was stearing at the toy at the store while his family left and got in the car.:D :D :D

tankgirl

Hi dgas, Thanks so much!!! On the forum, Teri was trying to let everyone know, but all that stuff happened really quick, nobody was prepared. I'm so glad to see you, you're part of the core!!!

tankgirl

Wanted to thank everyone for all the good info, I got the reactor humming along and it seems to have all the right numbers and my tanks Ca levels are excellent. Mike & Alberto, you guys saved me lots of work with your help!

Maxx

I felt like the kid that was stearing at the toy at the store while his family left and got in the car.
I hate it when they do that to me!!! Its even worse when you're at a restaurant, and then they all quietly sorta go to the bathroom one by one, and next thing you know they're gone and theres the server w/ a bill....

Seriously though, this may sound kinda dumb...its necessary to re-adjust the reactor every time you add a coral or calcium needing organism? I just sorta figured that it was set and forget...
okay...things to remember when I get my tank set up and running.
Nick

ReefLady

Staff member
TG ~ you're probably way past this, but I found this link really helpful when we first set up our reactor (that darn DIY stuff doesn't come with instructions! ;-) ):

>A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors< - by Simon Huntington.

.its necessary to re-adjust the reactor every time you add a coral or calcium needing organism?

Wit - I've not found this necessary. If the calcium demands of the tank increase considerably (lots of corals exhibiting a lot of growth, or many new corals added), then you may need to adjust. Not for one or two corals, though.

HTH,

Maxx

Thanks Teri,
Actually it was me, not Wit who posted that....I know we both act like Juveniles, but I'm the cute one!
Nick

ReefLady

Staff member
LOL, Nick - sorry! I think I do confuse you both though -- chalk it up to your good-natured-ness & sense of humor (both of ya!).

tankgirl

Actually it was me, not Wit who posted that....I know we both act like Juveniles, but I'm the cute one!

:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll :laughroll :laughroll

Nick, I didn't know that, so am grateful!!!

Teri, Thanks so much - it's a great primer that I'm printing out now. Some I did know, but (sigh) lost my instructions so am glad to have these!!! :D

I'm really impressed, the Ca levels have been great and all the numbers seem right; effluent pH - 6.8 and tank pH 8.3 in the morning! I keep feeling strange about not adding Ca & alk supplements. Can it really be this easy?

Maxx

What do you guys who are experianced w/ reactors and dripping Kalk think about the combination of the two? I only ask because on the Calcium reactor thread started by Mary, Johnny (MontanaReefer?) posted a link to a combination Calcium Reactor and Kalk reactor. I had honestly planned on going w/ a Geo Reactor, but this has me thinking. I had heard from some people that in their opinion the combination of the two on the same base like this can be maintenance headache. I will be e-mailing the manufacturer as soon as I get done posting this for his response to maintenance issues, but I wanted to get everyone elses take on it...

your killin me nick
S'okay, I'm learning how to bring ya back in paramedic school!
"CLEAR!!!"

Last edited:

Maxx

okay,
I reread the Clacium reactor thread and realized that Patrick had answered the question on maintenance already....
Theoretically, the kalk would be 'good' for an infinate amount of time depending upon the amount of dissolved CO2 in your RO/DI water. I do however,suggest that about monthy, the reactor is drained and refilled. Then again, using ESV brand kalk, I get almost totaly dissolution. So then that does not become a problem. I will tell you that I do put a john guest shut off valve on the input of the reactor so you can easily change out the check valve line and rinse the reactor out. Plus it is made even easier with the lid being CNC cut with key holes. So I do suggest if your not using a very high quality kalk like ESV that you turn off the valve, remove the feed line, insert a drain line and pour some water in to rinse out the bottom of the reactor. In summation, add kalk monthly if using a good kalk, or rinse and add kalk monthly if using pickling lime or such.
This doesnt seem like too much maintenance to me...any other opinions????
Nick