Drain/overflow ideas needed....

reefin101

for a grow out tank 60x32x12......~ 100g

Max flow thru the tank (to sump) will be about 400-500(MAX)......closer to the 350-400gph more than likely.....
I plan to use a bulkhead in the bottom and just use a simple PVC tube with intake screen on the top. nothing fancy....

Will a single 1" suffice w/o much gurgling? or better to got to like 1.25". 1.5 will be overkill for sure...

Or would 2 -3/4 or 2- 1" be better? Probably safer......

I think I prefer a single drain, less to drill and worry about. Just want to be sure it doesn't gurgle alot

If two do you think placement in opposite corners makes sense?

area of a single 1" drain is 3.14 sq in
area of 2 -3/4" drains is 3.53 sq in ~ 13% more than a 1" drain
area of 1.25" drain is 4.906 sq in ~ 55% more than 1"

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you look at the herbie style drains, you could use a gate valve on the bottom line to limit the flow to a full siphon and then you'd get no gurgling.......only problem with that is you don't have a back up.

if i were you, i'd drill two holes and run the herbie.......then you would have no noise at all and the backup incase of a clog.

reefin101

i am familiar with the herbie, just trying to keep simple....

Am leaning towards actually doing maybe 2 now.....and make a new sump/fudge.

Go 3/4 for the line leading to the fudge with a BV to control slow flow thru that ~ 100gph and then maybe the 1" drain on the other side for the rest of the flow/backup......

either way it would take a BIG something to clog these enuf that they couldn't keep up with 400gph flow

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Id go 1" and do a Pipe up, T, Pipe over to a 90, and pipe down to whatever level you want. Top of T, pipe up+ Cap with hole. Silences the gurgling.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah 2 is better than one. And a gate valve is much better to control flow if you're trying to fine tune but if you're looking for a more "rough tuning" then the BV should work.

reefin101

Id go 1" and do a Pipe up, T, Pipe over to a 90, and pipe down to whatever level you want. Top of T, pipe up+ Cap with hole. Silences the gurgling.

Thats just a standard durso if I am following correctly?

I guess I could do that if it gurgles bad, but i don't think 400gph split between 2 drain will gurgle at all. Plus this is in my basement fish room so a little nboise really isn't a big deal, i just don't want major gurgling and flushing!:verymad:

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
you can try the method i described. If it fails to silence it to your specs, you're out bout 5 bucks in plumbing parts

reefin101

Will do. I am leaning toward 2 1" drains out the back with upturned elbows. Seems to be no chance of draing full tank "IF" the PVC ever came loose or out. Also free up even more floor space. Not much but a few sq inches!

Thoughts, concerns...ideas?

StirCrayzy

2 through topis ok, use one turned down for full siphon tuned with BV (quiet) the upturned elbow is a full open channel backup.
This method means your into bean animal style which is what im building.