double pump help

djpj001

I have a sump pump and was wondering if it can be done- I bought a second pump which is a dry pump. Can I connect my sump return pump to my dry pump which is elevated about a foot and a half. which then the dry pump returns the water to my main tank. I attached a picture for visual aid.

thank you,
djpj

Attachments

• pump.gif
    pump.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 69

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
djpj, is it because your first pump is too small? if the pumps are equally rated I guess you could do it, if your submersible stops the dry pump will probably get damaged, somebody else will elaorate soon Im sure. Steve

Pro_builder

Bad idea. As sasquatch was saying, if one runs dry it will most likely harm the other pump.
Plus, as the pumps age they will not pump the same amount equally, so one will be doing most of the work anyway. if it is pump 1 that is doing most of the work, then there would be very little gain from pump 2. If pump 1 was doing most of the work it would have a tendency to cavitate pump 2 and suck through pump 1. You don't ever want to restrict the inlet flow to a pump, you can restrict the output side and not harm a pump.
HTH

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have to agree with Troy, not a good idea. Just get a bigger pump if your loosing flow.

djpj001

well my situation is. I bought this second pump (quiet one model 3000) because I thought it was a upgrade from my old pump. The old pump was given to me with the tank, there's no name listed all that is listed is (UL model 7 utility pump -E160713- 65 watts) I have no idea how much gph it outputs. I installed my new one today in my sump and seems weaker than my old one. So I basically bought a pump that is not enough gph for my tank. I would like to combine both pumps but don't want two pumps in my sump. Since the quiet one pump can be used dry. I would like to use my old pump in my sump and quiet one run dry, without drilling a hole in my sump. What can I do am I screwed and have to my a new pump with suitable gph for my tank??

Thank you,
DJPJ

BoomerD

Unfortunately, doing it that way really won't increase your GPH...you can't add xx gph + xx gph, and get 2xx goh...doesn't work that way...you'll still be limited to the gph of the weakest pump, AND, you are putting a lot at risk that way, should the bottom pump stop, and run the top pump dry...or the top pump quit, and restrict the flow from the bottom pump...
You'll be MUCH better off either replacing both with a stronger pump, or running both that you currently have in the sump.(which you've already stated you don't want to do)

Frankie

RS STAFF
I don't see why a Quietone 3000 isn't strong enough as a return. Could you tell us a little bit more about your system? What size tank do you have up? What size sump are you useing and do you have a refugium in this sump?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Djpj, quiet one 3000...780gph at 0' drops to 450gph at at 6', this is a tad deceptive as I think the quite ones are a low pressure flow pump, the volute on these pumps is big compared to impeller size so every bend in the path equals gallon drop.why not use the pump on a seperate feed like a closed loop. Steve

Frankie

RS STAFF
djpj001 said:
Where can I get info on how to do a closed loop system- because I'm not familar with this term.
Heres a picture of my CL. I used a larger pump but your will work fine also. A closed loop is pulling water from the main tank and sending it back to the tank causing flow. It help eliminate putting power heads in the display.

Last edited:

ReefDave

arent the new quiet ones submersable? could you not just run each one side by side with seperate return lines(pending on open space in the sump) also you could go over the edge of the sump w/ a priming intake?)the over the tank will eliminate drilling a hole but it will significantly cut down on gph(BUT, the combined flow may be exactly what you are looking for) hope that helps.