Dosing

Kroeger

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if there's a way to dose calcium into an aquarium that doesn't have a refugium or sump?
Thanks for the help

-Olivier

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Not for sure but if you are only adding calcium weekly....You could dose your change water?
Someone who does this more often than me (I'm still at new tank stage) will be along to advise you.

theplantman

What is your reason for dosing? Tell us a little about the system, How big is the tank, how old and how is it stocked?

Kroeger

I have a 65 gallon tank with a protein slimmer hanging off the back. In my tank I've got a flame angle two clowns one firefish and one tangaroa goby. For coral I have mushrooms, ricordea Yuma, candy cane, torch and I'll be getting many more LPS such as frogspawn and hammer coral as well as a few sps coral. So far all my corals are happy under my two radion g2. But I know as I add more corals that require calcium I'm going to need to add it because the 3 gallons per day top off probably won't be enough

theplantman

The top off with RO/DI does not add anything to the tank other than water. Just test your calcium level regularly and monitor the drop so you know how much is being used in the tank. If you are doing regular water changes the calcium should be replenished at an adequate rate of usage unless you are keeping extensive quantities of SPS and numerous clams. LPS and softies won't suck up too much calcium. Also keep your DKH stable as it has a direct correlation to the usable calcium in the tank. Here is a good read.

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Happy Reefing!:eek:lsmile:

theplantman

My pleasure, by the way, take your time on the read through that article, even the "Simple" version can leave your head doing this :turntable on the first read through.

DaveK

... For coral I have mushrooms, ricordea Yuma, candy cane, torch and I'll be getting many more LPS such as frogspawn and hammer coral as well as a few sps coral. ...

With the corals you have and he corals you are planning, you should be able to keep up with the calcium demands with just water changes. If you do find that you can not, then consider dousing calcium and related additives. Consider using a kalk reactor and/or a calcium reactor if you really have an issue. In all cases test your water and adjust dosing accordingly.

Above all, look at the corals. If they are doing good, don't try to chase a number by dosing. You can cause more problems than you solve. Only dose enough to bring things just inside the acceptable margin.

steved13

PREMIUM
Not as easily but it could be done. I would use a dosing pump, or some sort of drip. I think you'd get better control, and an easier system.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned. If you suspect you may need to dose, monitor your parameters more often and see how much they are dropping over what time period...probably the best way to know what is going on. To Davek's point, the monitoring and observation will, over time get you tuned in to being able to see what's happening in your tank.

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
All great advice about.. just a tid I want to add . . .

My own personal rule of thumb, "If you aren't testing for it don't dose for it".

Many times you're regular water changes will keep everything right in line. I've got some 2-part additives that are easily 3-4 years old. At one point I "wanted" to dose but then realized water changes were my best friend.

It's perfectly normal to "desire" to give your tank the very best parameters possible (it's our nurturing instinct kicking in) but over time you may realize the less you mess with it the better your tank will do. Sometimes we can love our tanks to death. . . .