Don't think skimmer is foaming like it should!!

Jbird0420

I'm gonna try that! Do think I should mesh mod the needlewheel impeller as well?? Been told by a few ppl that it will help out a lot.

Jbird0420

I reduced the water level to where you indicated. It did produce a darker skim within the foam, but the collection cup was practically empty. I think this model skimmer has some flaws. Thinking about adding the mesh mod to it and maybe customizing it to look like the Reef Octo Extreme series Skimmers. Any thoughts
??? Thanks for the help! -Justin

Try dropping the water line to where I marked it for a week and see if you get a better darker skimate. Trust me.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I reduced the water level to where you indicated. It did produce a darker skim within the foam, but the collection cup was practically empty. I think this model skimmer has some flaws. Thinking about adding the mesh mod to it and maybe customizing it to look like the Reef Octo Extreme series Skimmers. Any thoughts
??? Thanks for the help! -Justin
Just tweak it up half an inch and wait another week. Keep doing that until you get a good result. Skimmers take time to tweak and break in. Keeping your hands out of the water and not interfering with the water tension will speed things up also. Every time you put your hand in the water it breaks the water tension causing the skimmer to drop the foam. pollutants in the air like when you cook food also does this if the skimmer is to close to the kitchen.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Justin,
Any needle wheels skimmer I have ever owned plugs up inside the nipple! Thats ASM, Euroreef, Deltec and the list goes on.
I am thinking you have salt residue in the nipple where the air enters the pump chamber.
Take the pump apart and shin a flashlight down in that hole and get it at a angle so you can see down in there. If there is any white stuff at all(salt, minerals, debris you are going to get a drop off in skimmate production!!
Plain and simple. I have cleaned mine and after it's a whole different skimmer.
Once it has been cleaned out well, you can let the air intake suck up a cup of HOT RO DI water once a week or every other week. This goes a long way in keeping the air intake clean..........