Don't think skimmer is foaming like it should!!

Jbird0420

Need some help please!!!!!

My Reef Octopus DNW-200 skimmer does not seem to produce and foam as much as I believe it should. I see foam in the neck of the collection cup and the sides of the cup get built up quick within a day or so.

I have it adjusted to where the water level is right underneath the collection cup (Red line indicates water level). It drains into a 2Liter collection container and at the end of the week when I empty the container, it's a quarter to half full at best. My question is should this skimmer be foaming more and filling that container up faster????

Attachments

• DNW-200.JPG
    DNW-200.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 126

new reefer 03

do you have a pic of the skimmate? mine doesnt produce much, but it produces a nasty blackish green water. i have the super skimmer 125.

do you feed heavily? what kind of fish do you have?

lcstorc

That depends on a lot of things.
Are you skimming wet or dry? How many fish do you have and do you overfeed? What other filtration do you have?
Are you having an algae problem?

Jbird0420

I have a heavy bio-load. The tank is well stocked! I feed twice a day.. Mornings a sheet of Nori for the Algae eaters, nite either my homemade mixed food (shrimp, mussels, scallops, cyclopeeze,spinach, peas, nori, Marine C, Garlic, Zoe, Selcon. Blended, Mixed, frozen and cut up into feeding cubes) or a shrimp, depending on the nite. My tank is mixed with Tangs, Angels, Wrasses, Puffer, eel, and a couple other fish. Tank has been setup for 2 yrs now

Filtration I have a 55g sump/refug. I have a couple of small bags of Purigen and some carbon in the flow area of the sump. I have Cheato and MACRO ALGAE RED GRACILARIA along with a crap load of copepods in the fuge area. Mag18 as my return flowing through a 40w Gamma UV back into the tank. The display is a custom 225g w/ dual overflows. One feeding into my Octo DNW-200 skimmer. The other feeds into a filter sock in the sump.

*The first pic below was taken about 2 months back when I set up the sump/refug. Since than I removed the plate and the bio-balls (3rd pic).*

Attachments

• DSC03263.jpg
    DSC03263.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 124
  • skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 125
  • sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 123

lcstorc

Sounds like a nice set-up.
Are you getting algae in the display?
If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
I don't know how to adjust those skimmers. My ASM I simply raise or lower a tube on the side to get more or less skimmate. I am sure there is a control somewhere on yours. Have you checked the pump to make sure it is working properly. The pump may need a good cleaning?
Just throwing out random ideas here.

Jbird0420

Thanks lcstorc!!!

I have the open gate valve adjusted to where the water level is right underneath the black line of the collection cup. I usually get a dry skim vs wet. I just ran some boiling hot Rodi water through the airlne to unclog any salt.

It's just shy of 2 months, so I don't think it needs a strip down cleaning yet. I've heard some of these things can take months to "break-in" from what I hear from different ppl and forums.

Jbird0420

Yes, I do get algae in the display and along the walls of the refug area. I recently have had to cut my lights back to 9hrs from 12hrs, I run 3 VHO's.

lcstorc

I would try skimming a bit wetter and see what that does for you. Just a thought though.
The skimmer should be broken in by now though I agree it should not yet need a good cleaning.
Personally I have the best results when I go with a wetter skim though this is something hubby and I debate frequently.

Jbird0420

I hear ya on the hubby debates..LOL! My girl and I are always debating on this stuff...So, if I increase the water level to about a few inches below the top of the collection neck of the skimmer..That will give me more of a wet skim?

new reefer 03

i keep the water lvl right below where it comes out. just make it so the bubbles are always visible. i can take a pic of my collection pump if you want.

Jbird0420

You can if you want to, but I think our skimmers are different. I have a recirculating skimmer, don't know if yours is the same. I'm experimenting and playing with it. I closed the open gate valve a lil bit more to raise the water level about midway point on the neck of the collection cup. I do need to clean the neck of the cup as well.

new reefer 03

yours sounds like its more for the expert, mine is the beginner model lol.
they are different, all i have to turn is the little red dial, nothing else :)

NCguy

WiseGuy
Make sure that you don't have the air intake tube blocked at all.Also I noticed that you have the water outlet pipe under water.This can cause back pressure and won't let the water flow out freely.You don't want to make the skimmer work to push the water out because this will greatly cut down on the amount of raw water flowing through the skimmer.If you have to have it under water,I would suggest that you cut slits all the way up the white pvc pipe that you have connected to the outlet pipe to help relieve the pressure.If it were me I wouldn't have that pipe in the water at all.I would just hang a filter sock on the end of the outlet pipe (leaving the last pvc elbow that you have on it)to keep water from splashing everywhere.
The water level in the skimmer shouldn't be any higher than where the cup is connected to the skimmer body(black rings).A little higher if you're wet skimming and a little lower if you're dry skimming.

I hope this helps ya out.

Jbird0420

Are you saying remove the bottom portion of PVC pipe going into the sump from the 90? Did not know about the pressure build up within the outlet pipe. The air intake tube is not blocked at all. I even made sure today and ran boiling Rodi water through it to remove any buildup within the airtube.

Make sure that you don't have the air intake tube blocked at all.Also I noticed that you have the water outlet pipe under water.This can cause back pressure and won't let the water flow out freely.You don't want to make the skimmer work to push the water out because this will greatly cut down on the amount of raw water flowing through the skimmer.If you have to have it under water,I would suggest that you cut slits all the way up the white pvc pipe that you have connected to the outlet pipe to help relieve the pressure.If it were me I wouldn't have that pipe in the water at all.I would just hang a filter sock on the end of the outlet pipe (leaving the last pvc elbow that you have on it)to keep water from splashing everywhere.
The water level in the skimmer shouldn't be any higher than where the cup is connected to the skimmer body(black rings).A little higher if you're wet skimming and a little lower if you're dry skimming.

I hope this helps ya out.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Try dropping the water line to where I marked it for a week and see if you get a better darker skimate. Trust me.

Attachments

• DNW-200.JPG
    DNW-200.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 100

Jbird0420

Do you have this type of skimmer? Where you indicated where the water line should be is when the open gate valve is open all the way.

Try dropping the water line to where I marked it for a week and see if you get a better darker skimate. Trust me.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Do you have this type of skimmer? Where you indicated where the water line should be is when the open gate valve is open all the way.
No I do not. I just know a lot about skimmers and how they work. An Octo is a typical NW skimmer. By allowing the cone to form the head you will force out a more concentrated skimate. You have nothing to loose by trying. Please give it up to a week before giving up if you decide to try it.

Jbird0420

I will try it. I'm trying different things that has been recommended. I will give your recommendation a try and Ill keep everyone posted. Thanks Frankie!!!