Don't buy from Aquacon.com

Hlfitmr

Hi,
I recently made a very expensive purchase for my salt water aquarium from aquacon.com, a company in Florida. They have a policy of expediting all of their fish overnight via FedEx with a "no nonsense guarantee", or so they call it. Basically your fish are guaranteed to arrive alive. If they don't arrive alive (which one did not) their policy is to notify the asap and send a picture of your dead fish in the email-which I did. The package which I paid 55$ via FedEx (also per their policy) I was told would arrive before 10:30 am the next day since I had placed my order around 8:30 am. I waited at home until 12:30, no package. so I called aquacon.com, no answer. I then went to the FedEx website to track my package, per the FedEx website, which stated "delivery exception" the package did not arrive in time to be placed on the delivery truck and it was at their shipping facility in Windsor Locks, CT. , a 40 minute drive away from me. There was no number to be found on the fedex website for me to call them. So like a fool I trusted their information on the website and drove to CT. only to be told that indeed the package did arrive late and went out on a different truck and that a delivery attempt had been made at 1:18pm but I wasn't home, although they did leave another package delivered from another company at my door (but behind the security door so the package was inside-meaning someone buzzed the delivery guy in) they said they couldn't leave the package without a signature. They did however contact the driver who came back and finally delivered the package at 3:30pm. At this point I had many live animals that needed to be acclimated to their new home but one item was clearly dead on arrival, a special and very hardy fish called an Eye-lash or otherwise known as Lawn mower Blenny. I specifically purchased this fish because like the name says it acts like a lawn mower-My tank has been having a green hair algae problem and this fish was much needed. All of the other items I purchased which all did arrive in fine condition were just fluff. My tank really needs this blenny. I furious that I had to run around all over chasing down a package when Fed ex didn't properly update their website, aquacon.com doesn't answer their phone. And Apparently if a fish arrives dead on arrival they will only send you another fish IF you purchase something else from them! Basically they are extorting more money from their customer and furthermore the second fish according to their policy is not guaranteed to arrive alive, so basically they take more money and still don't guarantee that you get what you paid for. The Blenny cost a mere $8.99 But why should I buy more livestock when I've already spent over 200$ on my first order? I see that you have contractors and doctors here. Are they the only businesses you talk about here on Angie's list? Below is a copy and paste of their response to my request for a new fish. I told them I wasn't buying another fish and would no longer do business with a company that extorts more money from it's customers. Basically I want everyone to know what bad business people they are.

Thanks!

Brian Goldrick
Mr.Goldrick,

I do apologize for the loss of your Eye-lash Blenny. Per our live-stock guarantee which was agreed to at the time of purchase we will gladly replace your Eye-lash Blenny for you on your next live-stock order placed. When you place your next live-stock order kindly remind us to include your DOA from order number 15293 in the special order instructions.

As far as the shipping charged unfortunately we can not provide you with a refund for the shipping and handling. Unfortunately the package arrived to the location after the courier had left.

Some times that can and does happen for whatever reason. FedEx does not even reimburse our company for late packages unfortunately.

I truly do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

We appreciate your business. Have a good day.

Thank you,

Aquatic Connection Live
(954) 747-8511

Basically I am screwed out of my blenny unless I spend more money and the second supposed "No nonsense guarantee" of having your fish be delivered ALIVE is void. Save yourselves the grief of doing business with this company!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Here one review below... from RS that may have helped you...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/vendor-seller-feedback/50112-avoid-aquacon-com-all-cost.html

Might add... to be fair... Caveat emptor - Let the Buyer Beware... did you read all their disclosure statement... things like 25% restocking Fee & "Freight charges for both shipping the package and the return of the package are never refunded."

http://www.aquacon.com/shipping.html

Last edited:

AquaticLive

Dear Mr. Goldrick - I am sorry to read you had a problem with your last order with a lawnmower blenny that died. Unfortunately with livestock this can and will happen on occasion and that's why we have a written policy for replacements directly on the website AND on the order form that you MUST agree to, before we fill your order. So for you to be very upset with us on your order is saying you agreed to a policy and then are now going back on what you agreed to. For those not aware of our replacement policy here's a copy from our website:

AQUATIC CONNECTION LIVE GUARANTEE
Our Guarantee begins when your order is shipped and expires 48 hours after delivery. Therefore it covers the 1 day shipping and 2 days in your aquarium.
Losses during this period must be reported via email along with a digital photo of the specimen as evidence of the loss. To prove the death, the email and photo
must be sent within the 48 hours of receiving your product. During the guarantee period, we will replace any item lost that is not on our Non Guaraneed List
at no charge on your next order."

Why Do we need such a specific Guarantee agreement?
Aquatic Connection Live, Aquacon.com is one of the lowest priced marine life website's for 95% of all marine life you will see on the web.
Being so inexpensive, we had to formulate a guarantee policy that covered our customers well and also kept our coverage inexpensive to deal with
Now as we all are aware, shipping is very expensive, getting higher and higher every month. It is impossible to have extremely low prices and pay for
shipping charges for a specimen that god forbid dies. But sending a replacement with an order is simple and cost effective, and that's exactly why Aquatic
Connection handles any replacement specimens on the next order. If you order a day later or 6 months later we still give you the guaranteed specimen for free.

Why do other websites ship replacements for free?
Now our more expensive competitors who are selling say 8 items at $18.00 each that Aquacon.com sells the same items for $8.99 each, can afford to replace and ship immediately any dead’s.
Our more expensive competitors received an additional $80.00 profit on the shipment. But at $8.99 for an item that most likely costs us $5.00 we cannot do any different. The guarantee details
are very important in keeping our costs low and allowing us to continue to offer our customers very inexpensive pricing on marine life.

Thank you for reading our explanation and we hope everyone now understands our guarantee policy. It keeps Aquatic Connection Live, able to offer great marine life at inexpensive pricing.
And yes once in a while a dead can happen, but it didn't cost you an arm and a leg, and as you said in your email Mr. Goldrick, it was only $8.99.

Sincerely,
Ron Ratoff
Aquatic Connection Live

twoclowns

I have never heard much good about them even when I first started in the hobby I was warned to stay away from them. But most places carry that same policy no one is going to ship (50-70) overnight for a 9 dollar item. its refund or credit.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Ron,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

that's why we have a written policy for replacements directly on the website AND on the order form that you MUST agree to, before we fill your order.

seems fair enough... for you to expect customers to read the details... and your pricing model

DesertOrchid

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the above mentioned vendor. Many on this forum have commented in a positive way about the following vendors and for several years I've used Liveaquaria.com with EXCELLENT results for all my fish, invertebrates and larger coral colonies with exceptional customer service and if something does die during transit or 14 days afterwards you are refunded to your credit card NOT store credit.No hassles. I live in a remote Wyoming location and Fedex has had very few issues in getting my livestock to me first thing in the morning or as quickly as the roads/weather permits. If you are looking for hardy awesome frags then MYREEFTO YOURS.com is the place to go and his customer service is EXCEPTIONAL too as is the livestock. Just ask DMatt, BigAl and follow a few of their posts and you'll see. Best of luck with your next order. Blennies are cool fish full of character. I have 2... just love em.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Liveaquaria.com is an excellent company with Customer Service & a Guarantee Policy that is great !

Live Fish: Buy Live Fish Online with the Arrive Alive, Stay Alive® Guarantee from LiveAquaria.com

Our Promise:
"When you order live fish or any product from LiveAquaria.com, every purchase is a partnership, and our guarantee is our promise. That's why we've made our Arrive Alive, Stay Alive® Guarantee 100% risk-free. Because we believe that a partnership built on mutual faith and trust will always be stronger than one built on terms & conditions."

Your Guarantees:
If your fish, coral, plant, or invertebrate doesn't
arrive alive and stay alive for 14 days, we'll credit
your account or refund your money.

Reminds me of LL Bean, a bit more expensive clothes & shoes - but the customer is always 100% right - you can buy a pair of shoes there, wear them out & ask for a 100% refund for ANY reason & get it, as the customers there is always right.

s11_Guarantee_lander_image.gif

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
In all honesty? This thread needs to go byebye, 1 time posters with agenda's? as close to spam as you can get

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have never heard of aquacon before.. the warranty and explanation is pretty straight forward and just tho.. if they truly are as inexpensive as stated then i understand completely.. that dude probably saved a ton of money over somewhere like live aquaria and ended up losing 9.00 dollars of it... shipping issues happen to the best of us. and they offered to replace the fish on the next order... most reasonable people would be understanding of this

i agree.. remove this thread.... aquacon may suck but not because of this situation IMO..

steved13

PREMIUM
Folks, we don't remove threads lightly.

If you want the thread to go away, your best bet is to ignore it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
In all honesty? This thread needs to go byebye, 1 time posters with agenda's? as close to spam as you can get

I did think about this... when someone joins RS & 1st post is only Vendor Feedback and a Negative one... So I asked myself does RS allow this and was the "vendor feedback" clearly untrue ... then I did a forum search for other feedback on this same vendor & found the below thread, also started by a new member with one post, but with more feedback some pro & con from some long time RS members...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/vendor-seller-feedback/50112-avoid-aquacon-com-all-cost.html

So... as Steve said... we delete post for flames & clearly untrue statements... seems here the OP stated his disappointment with his experience using this vendor & one of the vendors employees 1st time post replied fairly...

Here is our RS policy for the Vendor Feedback Forum - Please remember to post positive as well as negative experiences. Also, no flaming or attacks will be allowed.

I didn't see the OP post as flaming - only stating he would not buy from them again, because he didn't like being issued a "store credit" and not a refund & because the vendor didn't offer to pay to ship the fish again that arrived dead. Where I pointed out as did the vendor, this is their policy & the OP just does not like it - IMO - a good lesson for all RS members to remember to read the details & policies from vendors before ordering...

A better title of this thread may have been... WHY I WOULD NOT BUY FROM AQUACON AGAIN

anyone with positive experience using this vendor, please share too...

Willie McDaries

I put very little faith in the 1 hit wonders such as the OP,but from what I read from the stores policy,it appears that they do business pretty much like a lot of other vendors in the business,it looked like they tried to make it right with the customer but couldn't satisfy him......

I know nothing about aquacon.com and not trying to take up for them and I've not purchased from a lot of vendors but neither liveaquaria.com nor saltwaterfish.com will send out a replacement fish if one is DOA,they issue a refund back to your card or give you store credit and you make another purchase if you want that fish...extortion is a bit harsh but it is what it is and it is because of high shipping costs that they do it that way so I understand their position completely

so I see little benefit to this thread (or my post,other than to pad my post count :D ) other than for others to share their experience with this vendor

steved13

PREMIUM

:) Sas, This has to be a test ^. A post of vendor feedback in a forum that asks for posts about vendor feedback...how could it be any further away from spam?

Willie McDaries

:) Sas, This has to be a test ^. A post of vendor feedback in a forum that asks for posts about vendor feedback...how could it be any further away from spam?

I see sas point on this being very nearly spam...I had never heard of aquacon.com before this post,this could all be a clever guise to get their name out there without becoming a sponsor here.....negative reviews are read more than positive ones :lol:

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Negative publicity may be OK for a celebrity who's not selling anything but an image... this kind of negative publicity for a retail company hurts them... at first read this thread seemed unfair to the business..... but after reading Glenn's link and Googling them...WOW I would not let my friends order from them.....

steved13

PREMIUM
I see sas point on this being very nearly spam...I had never heard of aquacon.com before this post,this could all be a clever guise to get their name out there without becoming a sponsor here.....negative reviews are read more than positive ones :lol:

I have to stick to my original statement. I think you mean to say there is a remote possibilty this is spam, but not that it is "nearly spam". Not to split hairs, but just to clarify, IMO that still wouldn't be spam, it would be a commercial advertisement without sponsorship, which while not allowed, is not by definition spam. But since Spam is usually defined by being unsolicited, and this is not, it wouldn't be spam. As I said, IMO it's about as far away from spam as you can get.

Since there is no evidence, let alone proof that this is a clever merchant, we'll have to take the OP at face value.

Willie McDaries

I have to stick to my original statement. I think you mean to say there is a remote possibilty this is spam, but not that it is "nearly spam". Not to split hairs, but just to clarify, IMO that still wouldn't be spam, it would be a commercial advertisement without sponsorship, which while not allowed, is not by definition spam. But since Spam is usually defined by being unsolicited, and this is not, it wouldn't be spam. As I said, IMO it's about as far away from spam as you can get.

Since there is no evidence, let alone proof that this is a clever merchant, we'll have to take the OP at face value.

oh I agree,I don't see it as spam either,it is at least reef related but I see what sas is saying too....I don't see much benefit to it but I don't think it needs removed,it is in fact a vendor feed back thread and it is feed back on a specific reef related vendor...from what I can tell,it is well within the forum rules so it is legal

Willie McDaries

Negative publicity may be OK for a celebrity who's not selling anything but an image... this kind of negative publicity for a retail company hurts them... at first read this thread seemed unfair to the business..... but after reading Glenn's link and Googling them...WOW I would not let my friends order from them.....

yea,I was being a bit sarcastic with the negative review post,but I agree,any negative review will hurt vendors,as it should,it is why we have this forum,to warn others of our experience with a specific vendor if it is a bad experience,same applies to the positive reviews helping vendors..

I'm not taking up for aquacon.com,until this thread,I'd never heard of 'em but it seems that a vendor can have hundreds even thousands of positive reviews and most people only notices the few bad review,I know you can't please everybody all the time,it just isn't possible,some people just can't be pleased....if you know what I mean.....

for example,one of the best TV sets I ever owned had a bunch of negative reviews on it but it had thousands of positive reviews,had I heeded the negative reviews,I would have missed out on a great DLP HDTV set,it is over 6 years old now and still going strong,even the projector bulb was said to only last 2 years Max,it lasted almost 6,I just recently replaced it and it still has as good or better picture quality as any HDTV on the market today

we as consumers just have to read through the reviews and weigh the pros with cons for ourselves and take reviews at face value,good or bad.....

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

I always thought the vendor feedback forum was for encouraging purchases from paying sponsors not for people who simply can't read a guarantee?
Meanwhile back at the spam... a post that is negative and only shows the poster as less than diligent, a quick response from the besmirched vendor(psychic!) explaining not only how low his prices are but how reasonable their policies are? = spam.
I shall wander the webs now to see where else our mutt and jeff team has played lol.