Does xenia like flow or not?

I've read online that they don't really like flow and pulse better when it's calm. I also read that they were "one of the only types of coral that will thrive even right up against a powerhead." The dude at the LFS said moderate.

What do you guys/gals think? When I put them in the path of the powerhead it seems like they're blowing too hard and just falling over in one direction. I've tried them in a few different positions, and they're not pulsing great in any of them. At least not like they were at the LFS and when I first brought them home.

Sapphire

well even if they pulse when you first get them, you may need to wait for a few days for them to acclimatise and begin pulsing.

Also not all xenia will pulse - there is still much debate about why and when they will pulse - it also isn't necessarily an indication of health. I'm not sure that they pulse more when the flow is low - it's just more visible when you tuen the pumps off, and I think that the pulsing of mine in mod-high flow is better than those in low flow.

To be honset xenia are one thing that almost seem to act like plants - lack of light makes them stringy and weaker etc.

I have several xenia and have had them placed in varying places (light & flow etc). In my experience they grow shorter but stronger "arms" in higher light. They can do very well in high flow,but can take some time to adjust.I have noticed that the ones I've had in high flow positions will (once established) gorw much stonger and thicker "trunks".

I hope this doesn't sound confusing.......! I guess my advice is just to be patient and keep an open mind about them...

lcstorc

Mine seems to like higher flow but indirect flow. I also have better success with them higher in the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent reply Sapphire.

It will grow in just about ANY flow. I've got it in all 3 tanks and it grows anywhere. I've got some growing ON a power head! I've got some growing under cliffs in semi-dark and I've got some growing under intense T5's (only inches from the light) and under MH's.

As mentioned above pulsing isn't really a KEY indicator one way or the other. It does LOOK cool when there is NO flow and you can notice the pulsing better but they have some degree of pulse until they get into really HIGH flow then they don't appear to have the "muscle" to out compete the flow.

It's a VERY prolific coral and if not "contained" will grow EVERY where :) It gives great "motion" in the tank as it moves in the flow and is fairly easy to care for. Some people can't seem to keep it (I think Lynn is over that now aren't you?) but for most it's a good coral at least at first:)

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

fivel

I agree with the plant statement - it just seems to be one of those corals that adapts to its surrounding and grows accordingly. Mine don't really seem to pulse that much with powerheads on but pulse like crazy when I turn off the jets to feed the tank

OK, makes sense. Great responses. Right now I have it out of the direct path of the powerhead, but it's catching the resulting flow. The stalks are blowing some and the heads are still pulsing. I keep reading that these guys are prolific multipliers. Considering I've just gotten started with coral, that seems like a high-class problem to me. I would love for it to explode all over the place. Does the hand part grab onto another rock and multiply, or does the stalk just spread?

AndtheBonus

I keep reading that these guys are prolific multipliers. Considering I've just gotten started with coral, that seems like a high-class problem to me. I would love for it to explode all over the place.

I got my Xenia a little over a week ago. Talk about growth in such short time. I think I had a frag of around 7-8 heads now I have 12. Its really cool though, come feeding time I turn my powerheads off and you can really see them pulse! Oh and I originally had them in direct flow and moved them to strong but indirect flow and in the middle of the tank (height wise) and they seem to be doing great and loving it. (1 150W Metal Halide Bulb)

P.S. Take some pics! :D

I got my Xenia a little over a week ago. Talk about growth in such short time. I think I had a frag of around 7-8 heads now I have 12. Its really cool though, come feeding time I turn my powerheads off and you can really see them pulse! Oh and I originally had them in direct flow and moved them to strong but indirect flow and in the middle of the tank (height wise) and they seem to be doing great and loving it. (1 150W Metal Halide Bulb)

P.S. Take some pics! :D

Darn, just over a week? I got mine Monday so, nothing yet. I've seen the word "weed" used to describe it more than once.

DSCF0046b.jpg

1248416637112.jpg