Does the clean up crew has enough to eat?

Rini

Hello,

At the moment i'm on the last days of the reef mature pro program.
And i'm thinking to get a few more members for my current clean up crew.
Momentarly we have an cleaner shrimp (1) and 1 crab (percnon Gibessi).
The crab is doing a great job.

For my nano I had an turbo snail and the Percnon gibessi and the shrimp.
They did an great job. However in that nano tank was MUCH more algea as i have now in my Max.

The Max seems pretty clean to me.
Would it make sence to do in this order :
1: First add live sand.
2: Perhap add an couple Nemo fish. To let my skimmer have to do something instead of making lots of noise.
3: And wait a bit before adding clean up crew?

Any advise is very welcome.

Sorry to spam with questions.

Rini

This helps!
Can't find the sand here in dutch stores.
Guess this is different as normal coral sand 1-2 mm?

Desmond

You could add this today and get CUC and fish tomorrow no worries i would think. Or just get cuc and in 1 week get fish. I think your tank is ready for both.

Rini

Good advise. This coral sand is living sand btw.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Desmond

There is no problem at all that it is live sand. It wont make a difference. Will give your system an extra little boost.

Rini

Got 2 advise now: not use living sand and no problems with use living sand.
hmmm interesting.
It is pretty easy to get me lost on this matter. Succeeded.:duh:

Time to flip a coin?

Perhaps more people who have an opinion what to do?
For now it is : 1 - 1

MrX

hmmm interesting.

The reason someone suggested not using live sand is because your tank is already cycled. Live sand is usually more expensive than non-live sand.

If the cost between the two where you live is minimal, or you don't care about the cost, go ahead and use the live sand. It won't hurt anything, and as suggested might give your tank a little more of a boost/diversity.

If you decide to use non-live sand, you could try and find some other saltwater hobbyists near you and ask for a cup of sand from their tanks. This would add additional life to your tank. (Make sure the donor tanks are free of pests!)

Rini

Since the price difference was just a few euro. We went for live sand.
Goal was to go get it tomorrow, but we made family plans. Have ordered it online.

Thanks all for the advise. Very much appreciated!

Rini

I find it difficult to decide if it is ok or not. Just a beginner here who is learning each minute. I'm so glad help is available on this forum.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Rini - if you add your fish & then your Live sand, I would worry about a possible mini cycle (ammonia harming my new fish) most Live sand... has been sitting on a shelve somewhere, think if you went to the ocean, bagged up some Live sand & sat it on a shelve - wouldn't it have some die off... (ammonia)

Take a look at this thread and Frankie's post - @Frankie been a mentor & long time RS members with many successful tanks.
http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/adding-sand-to-existing-sandbed.63808/

see what others think... I just don't want to see you add Live sand & Nemo at the same time, then lose him.

Rini

Thanks Glenn for the advise. Will wait with adding fish till everything is ok again. If a mini cycle start there should be no fish in the tank. I will make sure that cycle is over before any nemo's comes into the tank.

Will read the thread. So much to learn. :)

Squatch XXL

It is amazing how easy it is to cause a "mini-cycle". I did a simple repair to my tank that left a bit of a rock exposed to air for 24 hours.....the next week and a half was an explosion of algae. I only keep 2 critters in my tank, but it takes much longer to fix an issue like this than what initial caused it. My opinion is that you should not add livestock if there is a chance of a cycle....irrelevant of sand being "live" or not....just because it is sitting in a bag of water does not mean that it will not cause a cycle.

Dracko

hmmm interesting.
It is pretty easy to get me lost on this matter. Succeeded.:duh:

Time to flip a coin?

Perhaps more people who have an opinion what to do?
For now it is : 1 - 1
The reason that you should not, in my opinion, use live sand is cost. It will become live sand soon enough, and live sand cost is relatively higher.