Does Teflon Paste Cause Milky Salt Water?

SkyReef

I used teflon paste on the plumbing fittings that were screw-in fittings. After running a test of the new plumbing system, my tanks are gunked up with a white pasty substance. I figure it is the white teflon paste that I used. So I clean out the stuff, which is a greasy type of substance, consistent with the teflon paste. My two main concerns: (1) will it hurt my chiller or pump; and (2) is it a toxic pollutant to livestock?

The stuff works great to prevent leaks, but need I worry over the two concerns above stated? Please advise. Thank you.

jpsika08

SkyReef, I usually use Teflon Tape only as it doesn't break into pieces, never used paste before but honestly I wouldn't think it's toxic as it is commonly used for home plumbing and usually you can drink from regular faucets, but, a couple of water test to check Ammonia and Nitrite wouldn't hurt.

bshady

the paste is usually used for pottable water lines. I use teflon tape for everything else as it doesnt fall apart into the water line. I would read the warning label on the bottle to make sure its non toxic. Oh and it shouldnt bother the chiller.

Luukosian

Like said above, I wouldn't use the pipe dope anymore. Ussually that is used on drain lines in plumbing. Its great, and easier than tape, when you are doing plumbing for your house, but not for your tank. That stuff never really "dries" and its meant to be that way.

Jackalope

not only will the paste get in the chiller pump, but worse yet, it will coat the "chiller tubes" the water runs through. had something of this nature happen to a 50ton chiller when someone thought it was good to put... OIL in the water thus saving the pumps from seizure... GAH!

your chiller will loose efficiency pending on how much is gummed up in the chill water tubes.

SkyReef

Apparently, the latest theory on the white stuff in my tank is the coating that is on the flexible PVC (SpaFlex), which apparently creates a white-water havoc for about a week, unless washed in a vinegar bath, first. Hmm...I wonder what the culprit was....

SkyReef

not only will the paste get in the chiller pump, but worse yet, it will coat the "chiller tubes" the water runs through. had something of this nature happen to a 50ton chiller when someone thought it was good to put... OIL in the water thus saving the pumps from seizure... GAH!

your chiller will loose efficiency pending on how much is gummed up in the chill water tubes.

That might come to pass, but so far, my chiller is chilling just fine.

SkyReef

You have a problem that stuff is toxic

Not a problem so far because it only occurred when I was doing a leak-test on the aquarium, with no life in the tank to be harmed by anything toxic. Since then, the tank has been thoroughly scrubbed, new water, etc. The tank is crystal clear now.

yankieman

I hope its not toxic cause the closed loop pump i got " A REEF FLOW DART " said in the instructions to use it that its not toxic