Does my anemone look ok??

NewbieREEFERs

Hello Reef Sanctuary,

Can someone tell me if my LTA anemone looks ok and how to tell when they are dead ? i had it for about two weeks now and it still wont attach and the only way i can keep it from going behind the rocks is to turn off the power head.
the tank parameters are perfect and has been since i set it up about 1.5 years ago. Salinity 1.026, PH 8.2 and not sure what everything else is but just had it tested and lfs said it was perfect.
Tank Specs:
90 Gallon long
2 175w metal halide
2 110w vho antic
40gallon refugium
reaction 4 cannister filter with uv
IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

PIMPALA

for sure not dead. you would know if it was.

just not "happy". Try moving the powerheads to face a different direction in the tank. but sometimes you just cant make them stay out front, and its going to hide on the back of the rocks no matter what you do. Just let it go, and eventually it will find a place IT likes. may not be a place that YOU like... but that doesnt matter.

Slickcg33

Your anemone is a dead man walking.... Unlike a BTA, damage to an LTAs foot is nearly always fatal. Yours keeps wondering and won’t attach because the bottom of its foot is torn up. This happens often during collection. You can tell that it is tore up because its intestines are hanging out of the bottom, those small squiggly tan lines protruding from its base. It should look completely smooth. I would venture to say you anemone is a goner, add to that, that it is bleaching as well.

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Im afraid Slick has a good point :S

have you touched its tenticles ? does it sting ? have you tried feeding it ?
if its tenticles dont sting, and it doesnt accept food its gone, but if it is, try offering it some silverside or krill as it does look bleached/starved a bit too.

good luck.

Ericm1205

also if it isnt sick or dying, LTA's bury their foot in the sand. find a spot where you would like it to stay dig a hole in the sand by a rock so it can sttach itself to the bottom of the glass or the underside of a rock in the sand. i did this for my purple lta and it took all of 20 minutes to it to bury its foot in the sand and got under a rock to hold itself down. i had to turn all my pumps off and hold it down with my hand until it attached.

What i did was i had a small rio power head and i just had it blow far but directly at its mouth.. it stayed in about 10 minutes. That is if yours is still alive i can't tell by the pics very well but what did you feed your anemone?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Your anemone is a dead man walking.... Unlike a BTA, damage to an LTAs foot is nearly always fatal. Yours keeps wondering and won’t attach because the bottom of its foot is torn up. This happens often during collection. You can tell that it is tore up because its intestines are hanging out of the bottom, those small squiggly tan lines protruding from its base. It should look completely smooth. I would venture to say you anemone is a goner, add to that, that it is bleaching as well.
I am finding it hard to tell that from this picture. Maybe. It looks more like the substrate stuck to the bottom then it being torn.
Could you pick it up and take a better shot of the foot underwater please NewbieREEFERs?

PIMPALA

I am finding it hard to tell that from this picture. Maybe. It looks more like the substrate stuck to the bottom then it being torn.
Could you pick it up and take a better shot of the foot underwater please NewbieREEFERs?

thats what I thought... that was sand stuck on its foot.