Does anyone not dose anything in their aquarium?

majaxx

Ive had a 35g reef tank for 2 years and i never dosed anything. I only kept soft corals. I did 10% water changes once a month. Everything is going great.

I plan on doing the same thing with a 90g aquarium.

Should I start researching about dosing? Or should I go about the same way with this tank.

I will be only keeping soft corals, maybe birdsnest or monti.

Is there anyone that doesnt dose anything and is going well?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I don't dose. I have a 90 with about 25 mostly LPS corals I change 10 gallons a week and that keeps my calcium levels high enough

tnwillia

You only need to dose if your testing tells you you have a problem weekly water changes with good salt can't keep up with. Good luck!

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Lots of calcium.. once a week I have to bring calcium up 100ppm.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As Tom stated your water tests will tell you to dose or NOT dose. It really depends on how your system is set up, what your bioload is (fish waste feed coral etc), what coral you have and how many, and what your husbandry skills are.

I had a full mixed reef with a lot of SPS 90g system and I didn't dose anything. I'm not a doser unless the system is really being pushed to the max. In working with people on here and physically helping people "Fix" problems here locally I can tell you from my experience is that about 80% of all dosing products are NOT needed in the average reef tank. I've seen so many problems fixed by removing the additives and going back to simple weekly water changes.

Consider your water tests as your looking glass into the inner workings of your tank. Test regularly, take good notes and let the water test results guide your next move.

majaxx

Thanks everyone,

I really like this forum!

What I will do is get it all set up, and test weekly!
I will start a journal on here once I get all my equipment.