Do you think I need more or Less light?

jpsika08

No, but over at RC there is a good comparison and wow, can they deliver PAR measurements, even hanging 12" above water surface.

knapp870

Thanks for the replies so far guys. It was my first intention into doing the 250 watt, however got persuaded into the 150 watt as the store did not have the 250 in stock and they thought I would be fine. The rics have been in the process of splitting for several months, I am thinking of moving them higher in the rock work. The elegance came out of it's shrunken state for a few weeks, then recently it started not opening as much once again. I moved it yesterday to be more directly under the light to see if that helped, however flow is fairly strong in this area. I agree that par is the way to go on light decisions but do see the difficulty in reaching these numbers. My current light is a K-2 Viper HQI, thus pretty difficult to upgrade, that is why I was thinking of doing some sort of supplemental lighting if that would help but still isnt the most ideal of solutions. The Hex poses many issues with depth, lack of hanging space, as well as sand bed space.

knapp870

So...Back to the original issue. Besides the light debate, my elegance has seemed to take a turn for the worse. It barely extends at all during the day now. I have since moved it up into the upper levels of the rockwork and this has seemed to make little difference. Any ideas? Should I try to take it back on the guarantee that was previously given when I bought it or does anyone have some suggestions that I could try? Also, Is it a general consensus that my light levels are too low at the lower regions of my tank?

schriss

I was asking the same question and ended up getting Quantum Meter, found out what my PAR was, ordered new light unit.