Do you collect your own fish?

rDr4g0n

If You decide to collect "ANY THING" wild, I strongly suggest you quarantine everything! I learned the very hard way.

i agree with cracker. id be worried about contamination and funguses and bacteria and diseases and flukes and worms and the list goes on and on.

johnmaloney

Everything in John Pennekamp is protected. You can find a lot of other spots for catching, you just can't trade or sell them otherwise you will need a marine life endorsement, (50k plus to purchase one for transfer). Next time you are in the Keys find a bridge, dive between the pilings and congrats you found a legal place to catch tropicals!

johnmaloney

I haven't had a problem with collected fish, the ones in the ocean are generally healthier then the ones at the LFS. Have been under much less stress. Of course you should always follow proper QT process though.

ch08

I collect fish here in Hawaii. I get a ton of variety stuff, but my passion is going deep for the deepwater specimens. I'll go as deep as 215ft. deep and catch bandit angels, crosshatch triggers, tinker's butterflys, ventrallis anthias, yellow mouth morays, and longnose hawkfish. That is why I have THREE 1" bandit angelfish in my tank!

mavdog32

you can collect coral, just not hard coral :)
Like was said its not as easy as one would believe and you should deco the fish when you bring them up. I have seen it done where the diver has a container tied to the boat and puts the fish in it, then you have to bring them up slowly making stops along the retrieve. Obviously you dont have to do a whole lot at 15ft but if your in 60, 70 etc you know

nemeth21

I do alot of collecting around our oil rigs of the coast of Louisiana

Here are a few teasers.

06242007_001_edited21-1.jpg

P6230106_edited21.jpg

Photo2.jpg

That last picture is my boat. In the spring and summer it get out usually twice a week. I am the President of a New Orleans Dive Club named the Aqua Aces. If anyone in the area ever wants to get on the water let me know.

ReefLady

Staff member
Oh, I am jealous. That's gorgeous. My husband & I are both PADI certified, but it's been a while since I've been diving - mostly because I hate the cold water. Here's the prettiest fish you'll find here:

wolffish.jpg

:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I do alot of collecting around our oil rigs of the coast of Louisiana

Here are a few teasers.

06242007_001_edited21-1.jpg

P6230106_edited21.jpg

Photo2.jpg

That last picture is my boat. In the spring and summer it get out usually twice a week. I am the President of a New Orleans Dive Club named the Aqua Aces. If anyone in the area ever wants to get on the water let me know.

Holy Cow Bat Man! That's a LOT more than a "teaser"! That's on the verge of being MEAN! LOL!

Seriously GREAT pics! If I can get down that way (and it will happen) I'm gonna give you a serious SHOUT!! WOW!!

ReefLady

Staff member
Wow. And this is your *job*? J/k, I know there's more to it, but - wow. Beautiful. Love the Hogfish.

reef dummy

I'm so happy I found this thread. I've been wanting to put a brook trout in my reef tank for years, i just thought it was illegal, silly me. :yup:

OceanCorals

Has been struck by the ban stick
I one time talked to a buddy who lived in Hawaii and he said there they have the ablilty to collect 5 fish a day legally.

Reed639

Has been struck by the ban stick
My buddy in Hawaii said he can just take a pale out and get three fish a day and does not need a licence.