"Do I Really Need A Refractometer" or "My Hydrometer Is Good Enough"

ChrisY

If someone would pay me to go back to using a hydrometer, I would! (but only till I earned enough money to buy a shiny new refractometer or a digital) :)

Seriously the best $40 bucks I every spent on a tank. Make sure you get a quality model and it has ATC.

Chris

ChrisY

automatic temp conversion. So, if you think about it refractomoters measure the water at 1.0 vs the sampled water. depending on temp salinity can change. So a unit that adjusts for temp is a good thing. They can still be calibrated, but when I calibrated mine when I got it, it was already spot on.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
+1 I can't imagine going back to a non-ATC model. Kind of defeats the accuracy if you're not sure how to manually calculate for the variations in temperature.

And calculating ain't my strong suit... Lol.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

TwiceIrish

When I started out about 2 years ago, I used hydrometer for a few weeks. Was having trouble with hydrometer arm "sticking". At their suggestion, took water sample to my reef store. Way different reading from my hydrometer. Purchased refractometer and this was my single best purchase. Love being able to hold it to bright light and see just where I am. Highly accurate and readable. Course it did help that I used to be a nurse in NICU and we used one of these to read the specific gravity on . . . uh . . . well . . . body fluids from the babies!

sk8rdn

TwiceIrish said:
When I started out about 2 years ago, I used hydrometer for a few weeks. Was having trouble with hydrometer arm "sticking". At their suggestion, took water sample to my reef store. Way different reading from my hydrometer. Purchased refractometer and this was my single best purchase. Love being able to hold it to bright light and see just where I am. Highly accurate and readable. Course it did help that I used to be a nurse in NICU and we used one of these to read the specific gravity on . . . uh . . . well . . . body fluids from the babies!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Never knew it was used for bodily fluids too...

...."Fish" Happens!....

sk8rdn

Since we've had quite a few new peeps sign up lately, I think this deserves a :bump:

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

blackwater

this was good. i was just thinking if i need one or not. have just started my first salt tank and have been using a hydrometer but after reading this i'll be getting a refractometer.....thank you.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
this was good. i was just thinking if i need one or not. have just started my first salt tank and have been using a hydrometer but after reading this i'll be getting a refractometer.....thank you.

A refractometer is one of the "must have" items for a saltwater aquarium. When you think about it, you are setting up a "saltwater" aquarium, the first thing you need to get right is the "salt water" and the only way to do that is with a calibrated refractomer.

They should be issued to hobbyist when they buy their first piece of equipment for their setup. "Oh your setting up a saltwater aquarium, here's your refractometer".

Last edited:

blackwater

that would have been great or at least if my lfs had said "don't bother with the hydrometer" i would have bought it right away but was told i'd be fine without it.

sk8rdn

that would have been great or at least if my lfs had said "don't bother with the hydrometer" i would have bought it right away but was told i'd be fine without it.

Glad we could help! Unfortunately, we hear a lot of bad advice from the LFS. It's great that we have a place like this to share the good ideas and techniques.

I just ordered one should be here soon. This was a really well written post, thank you for that.

Wonderful! You won't be disappointed.
And thanks for the praise. Glad I could help. :)

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

Drew40

i just bought one about 2 months ago ( the kind you have to calibrate with a screwdriver) i also purchaced the calibration fluid with it. i used to use a hydometer and had alot of problems in my tank, could never pinpoint the cause. When my refractometer arrived i calibrated it and checked the water, (the hydometer always read 1.023 - 1.024) with the refractometer my tank was reading 1.028 ( i corrected it that day back to 1.024) sence then my tank is fine now. wish i would have read a topic like this when i first started my tank. Great post by the way