Do I have to use ro/di ?

Doogle

I'm getting set up and am getting live rock tomorrow so I need to get my water in tank so I was wondering if I need ro or distiller water ? Can I use my tap with a chlorine / heavy metal remover? My tap water is about 7.6 ph , will it get higher with the addition of the salt or am I gonna need a buffer ?

StirCrayzy

Best bet is get RO/DI and not have the bother of wondering what is going in the tank.
distilled would be second best IMO.
Many supermarkets sell purified water now, so its not hard to obtain even without your own setup.

Whether or not you need a buffer depends on salt mix.
Test after mixing then see if you need anything extra.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm not sure I would use distilled water. Distilled water tends to be very acidic in nature.
RODI is really your only viable obption IMO. It is obtainable through a lot of LFS these days so I would check around and see what is available if buying a unit for yourself is not an option at this point.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do you HAVE to? No not at all but honestly RO/DI is one of those things that the sooner you invest the better off you are.

Think of it like this... if you don't control what goes INTO your tank how are you going to be able to have any hope of controlling what HAPPENS in the tank?

Municipal water treatment plants have a whole array of chemicals at their use to combat various water situations. It could change from week to week or not change in months and months but the one thing you can count on is it will change.

If you'll read through some beginner threads you'll notice almost every single reefer ends up going RO/DI sooner than later because of the problems non-RO/DI cause. Water is the single largest component of your system and is probably the LAST place you want to cut even a single corner. Invest now and you'll be money ahead sooner.

Do you HAVE to? No not at all but honestly RO/DI is one of those things that the sooner you invest the better off you are.

Think of it like this... if you don't control what goes INTO your tank how are you going to be able to have any hope of controlling what HAPPENS in the tank?

Municipal water treatment plants have a whole array of chemicals at their use to combat various water situations. It could change from week to week or not change in months and months but the one thing you can count on is it will change.

If you'll read through some beginner threads you'll notice almost every single reefer ends up going RO/DI sooner than later because of the problems non-RO/DI cause. Water is the single largest component of your system and is probably the LAST place you want to cut even a single corner. Invest now and you'll be money ahead sooner.

I believe that this is the truth on this subject. I shelled out $250 for an RO system and now when I go into my fish store they always try to sell me RO water for 75c per gallon. I am making money left and right, just because I shelled out money early.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
No you don't have to have ro/di but you should. Say you have a algae explosion in your tank and you will everyone has, well one way to fight it is thru nutrient export via a water change but if your using tap water you might just be adding more nutrients i.e. phosphates and silicates to the water. It's like fighting a fire with gasoline.
75 GPD RO/DI 4 Stage Economy System - English this is the unit I bought minus a few add ons and it works great.
anyway good luck and post some pictures if you can.

reefer gladness

Lol, for some reason this reminded me of a scene from Dr. Strangelove

Ripper: Mandrake?
Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have, Jack.
Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
Ripper: On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
Mandrake: Oh, eh, yes. I, uhm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
Ripper: Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this Earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that 70 percent of you is water?
Mandrake: Good Lord!
Ripper: And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
Mandrake: Yes. (he begins to chuckle nervously)
Ripper: Are you beginning to understand?
Mandrake: Yes. (more laughter)
Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol?
Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
Mandrake: Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?