Do Corals Need To Be Fed?

I dont have any corals yet but I do plan on getting some within the next month or so and I am trying to learn everything I can before I get the first one. The corals I plan on getting are mushrooms, plate corals, frogspawn, hammer corals, and brain corals, pretty much all softies. My question here is not really do they need to be fed period, but rather do they need to be spot fed? Will they just feed off the food the fish miss? I feed my fish a very small helping of prime reef in the morning then a very small piece/slice of frozen marine cuisine at night. If I do need to spot feed what food should I use and should I use a syringe or eye dropper to do so? Also while somewhat on the topic what is a good brand of all around supplements (calcium, strontium, other trace elements) to get?

Edit:
Also forgot to mention I would like to keep button polyps of the Zoanthus sp.

yungreefer2410

you do not need to feed the corals you listed there feed off the food in the water column. you only supplement levels that are low.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto! The corals you have listed are mostly photosynthetic. They'll "make food" and also catch some from the water column. The best thing you can do is maintain the best water parameters you can so they can "Do their thang".

Only DOSE for what you're testing for and for those corals you shouldn't need to dose anything. Stay on top of your water changes and water testing and go from there :)

Reddog170

I have noticed a big drop in calcium sinse adding several corals in my tank. I have started using Kent Marines Kalkwasser. I am only doing the dosing real mild right now and testing both before and a couple hours after I dose. I have noticed a big difference in my corals. I also add 1 tsp of phyto once a week. Have to be real careful though, to much and BOOM more algae than you knew you could grow in a night. My suggestion, add only 1 or 2 corals at a time. Keep us posted, Shaun

chipmunkofdoom2

They don't need to be fed, but especially if you're like me and have lower-end lights, then I believe it can help with their growth. Before my explosive algae problem, I had great success feeding my ricordea.

Cool thanks everyone! I still have ALOT of research to do and some equipment to buy....Still need a skimmer...I ordered my T5HO and I was going to add corals before the skimmer but I have now decided to wait on it. But with everyones help on all my post so far I think I am well on my way. Thanks again everyone!

jjohnson3

I feed my LPS corals brine about twice a week. My polyp extension is crazy! My open brain that I bought was about 2.5 inches. Now its about 4 or 5 inches wide open!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive had it about 3 months.