Dkh readings

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yesterday I did my weekly water change and changed out 20 gallons of water. The new water mixed for about 20hrs and I'm using corallife reef crystals.
When testing my water Ca was 440 using API test and dKh was 6.7 using Salifert. What should I if anything be doing to safely raise dKh and are there normal swings in these levels throught the week or day?

sk8rdn

Are you sure of the accuracy of either test? I'd worry about raising one while trying to leave the other levels alone as much as possible...

engineer goby

Are you sure of the accuracy of either test? I'd worry about raising one while trying to leave the other levels alone as much as possible...

No I'm not sure I'm doing the Salifert test correctly although I have watched videos on youtube to double check how I'm doing it. It's possible I have a bad test as well but I've done it several times with the same results. I'm going to take a sample to my LFS and have them test it.

jpsika08

You can safely increase DKH up to 8 or even 9 and keep watching CA, if it goes down from 440, just add some Calcium too until all levels are balanced.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Yesterday I did my weekly water change and changed out 20 gallons of water. The new water mixed for about 20hrs and I'm using corallife reef crystals.
When testing my water Ca was 440 using API test and dKh was 6.7 using Salifert. What should I if anything be doing to safely raise dKh and are there normal swings in these levels throught the week or day?
how do you mix? many things affect the wet end of the bag lol

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
you starting with cold water,mixing in salt then heating? Im thinking the test kit is off, can you describe how you use the salifert kit?

engineer goby

you starting with cold water,mixing in salt then heating? Im thinking the test kit is off, can you describe how you use the salifert kit?
Yes this last change I mixed the salt in while the water was still cold. I'm using the kit as instructed, 4ml of tank water in the vile, 4 drops of the little bottle into the vile then 1 ml of the other solution dropped in until color change. I'm thinking I might be screwing up with the 1ml syringe. The plastic pointed cap makes it unreliable in my opinion

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
if the 1ml syringe is full to the line there is nothing else to do, a drop and a swirl until color is changed then read whats left in syringe and read from chart, I like to draw up some fluid then tip it straight up and flick the tube, then expel the air and fill it, if their is air at the tip it will change the reading

engineer goby

if the 1ml syringe is full to the line there is nothing else to do, a drop and a swirl until color is changed then read whats left in syringe and read from chart, I like to draw up some fluid then tip it straight up and flick the tube, then expel the air and fill it, if their is air at the tip it will change the reading

That's what I'm doing wrong thanks

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
the last two salifert kits I bought had no engrish instructions at all, that was fun figuring out lol

sk8rdn

sasquatch said:

Just think of every doctor in every movie ever made... Draw fluid, flick, flick, squirt, inject (or draw up more fluids)...

...."Fish" Happens!....

engineer goby

Just think of every doctor in every movie ever made... Draw fluid, flick, flick, squirt, inject (or draw up more fluids)...

...."Fish" Happens!....

I thought about doing that but the "Dutch" instructions didn't specify. That being said I'm guessing it should be in the 9 to 10 range. I'm gonna retest in the morning

jpsika08

Rob,
Here is the correct use of the Syringe,
salifert_test_2.jpg

And the pictorial guide on using Salifert Alk test kit.
Homebrewing: Salifert Alkalinity Test

engineer goby

Picture quality isn't very good but this is what I have:
Test Kit
test.jpg

I always have this air gap, should I be squeezing the air out of the syringe?
test1.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier if I didn't put that plastic tip on the syringe?
test2.jpg

steved13

PREMIUM
You need the air gap, the fluid equivalent of the airgap is in the tip that you add onto the syringe. When you start to draw the fluid, the air moves out of the tip and up the syringe, so you are drawing the exact same amount of fluid to replace the air.

Do not flick, flick, flick the air out or you will get a false reading. The proof is when you push the plunger from the 1ml mark, fluid is expelled from the tip all the way to the bottom of the plunger, or when the plunger moves 1ml.

steved13

PREMIUM
The tip makes it easier to draw the fluid without drawing additional air. Also, less fluid dripping from the end of the syringe.

sk8rdn

Ooh.. sorry man... I was thinking metal syringes that don't allow air gaps... My bad. Sorry for the false advice...

...."Fish" Happens!....