DIY Vortech screen cover

tektite

Made a DIY vortech cover awhile back, finally got around to writing something up about how I did it :) Anemone proof!

Product made
P1150951.jpg

Supplies used: Drill, dremel, 1/8" acrylic, regular fiberglass window screen, and 3 holesaws (4", 3 1/8", 2 1/2")
P1150878.jpg

Secured the acrylic to the wood so it wouldn't move while making the rings, predrilled the center 1/4" shaft for the holesaw bit
P1150914.jpg

Made my disc, 4" holesaw used
P1150916.jpg

Drilled again with the smaller holesaws, using the same center hole for the holesaw's bit so it was exactly centered - 2 1/2" holesaw used for the front vortech ring, 3 1/8" holesaw for the rear ring
P1150917.jpg

Sanded the ring a bit, holesaw's not too smooth :) The front ring only needed evening out, the back ring will need to be sanded just a little bit larger than 3 1/8". A little bit of sanding and the rear ring fits snugly over the back of the vortech. Don't sand too much because its the snug fit that keeps the cover on the vortech.
P1150922.jpg

P1150923.jpg

tektite

Small piece of window screen, superglued to the outside of both rings. Extra cut off and the cover is done!
P1150934.jpg

P1150936.jpg

P1150940.jpg

Fits perfectly over the vortech. Easy to slide off and clean. One thing I did not add to this prototype was small pieces of acrylic joining the front and back rings to add some rigidity to the cover, I will do that with future covers.
P1150942.jpg

P1150943.jpg

P1150944.jpg

Tigersref

Question.....why not just use the foam cover it comes with? also, I've seen many tanks using Vortech and none have covers, including my own. thought being that if the fish are healthy enough, theres no way they are gonna get sucked in, so why have covers that are just magnets for stuff to grow on them?

btw, nice cover.

tektite

Question.....why not just use the foam cover it comes with? also, I've seen many tanks using Vortech and none have covers, including my own. thought being that if the fish are healthy enough, theres no way they are gonna get sucked in, so why have covers that are just magnets for stuff to grow on them?

btw, nice cover.

The foam cover blocks a lot of flow. The cover i made isn't for keeping fish away, its for other things like anemones that have a habit of wandering and getting sucked into powerheads.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Nice job! I had my star get on the side of mine and shoved it's foot right in the side of my mp40 rendering it useless. Stupid star couldn't get itself out and must have been stuck all night long.

Great idea!

yankieman

Excellent DIY project , and can maybe applied to other areas such as closed loop suction areas,, good job,,,,,,,

tektite

Yes, I make similar screen structures for the intakes to my pumps, like this one in my macro tank sump to keep the macros out of the mag12:

P1180365.jpg