DIY Sump / Refugium Questions

nloomis3

I am working on creating a sump / refugium and could use some input. After reading many threads, I decided on the following design (see attached picture for reference): 2 pipes (1.5 inches) come in from the display tank and get filtered by filter floss (supported by egg crate) then it goes through the skimmer, through filter media (purigen / carbon) and the bubble trap, then the return section with a heater (and eventually an ATO feed). The Fuge will get fed off a T split from the return pump and will have a valve to control flow.

The sump is a 33L (48.25 x 12.75 x 12.875)

So these are my questions:
1) Do I need bubble traps from the overflow of my Fuge (or any at all)?
2) Are there any glaring concerns with this design?
3) How do I know how high to make my baffles (I have a vertex omega 180i skimmer and I don't have any height left so I can't raise the skimmer with a stand!!! So i need to make sure my operating water level is: Optimal Level: Max 8" Min 7.5"). How much higher will the water flow over the baffle -- I.E. If I make my baffle after the skimmer to be 7.5 inches won't it overflow higher than this?

Attachments

• croppedFuge.png
    croppedFuge.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 30

DaveK

You design looks good. My personal preference would be to use filter socks over the floss. I think they are easier to change and clean.

As for baffle height, you might find yourself adjust this to some extent. In the skimmer section put the first baffle at 7 3/4 or so, and see how it works. If it's a little tall you can cut it down a little.

cracker

I agree with Dave K, A filter sock instead of floss will be easier to clean. Baffle height is fine at 73/4. Nice simple design !

nloomis3

Is there a good way to get the 1.5 inch pipes into a filter sock? I found filter sock holders ranging from 4 inch to 7 inch filter socks, but I am not sure how to connect the input flex pipe to it. Also the 33L is only ~ 12 inches high, is this too short for the filter socks?

Thanks!

DaveK

You really don't need to connect anything directly yo a filter sock. you just have the pipe empty into it. You can even have the pipe an inch or so above the filter sock to make changing it easier.

Keep in mind that you use a wide diameter pipe because you want the water to run down the inside of the pipe and not gurgle there. The 1 1/2 pipe will never full of water, except in some specialized overflows such as the bean animal overflow.

rostervandross

I have tried filter socks since they are so popular and find them more difficult to clean .. What are yalls tricks?

With floss/quilt batting it rinses pretty easily where it seems like socks need a whole machine wash

Also a whole roll of quilt batting is basically the same price as one sock.

WRT your design , have you thought about cutting out the baffles between Refugium and return and just having one wall for water to run over?

cracker

I guess if You didn't have a bunch of socks to wash the filter batting would be more practical. I have 8 socks when I get 6 that need cleaning I turn them inside out and toss them into the clothes washer with some bleach. Now the the lady of the house may disagree with this method. I'm single so no worries. I would think that a sock might be better cutting down on micro bubbles. As would a baffle after the fuge. just my OP

DaveK

I have tried filter socks since they are so popular and find them more difficult to clean .. What are yalls tricks?

With floss/quilt batting it rinses pretty easily where it seems like socks need a whole machine wash

Also a whole roll of quilt batting is basically the same price as one sock.

WRT your design , have you thought about cutting out the baffles between Refugium and return and just having one wall for water to run over?

Filter socks are easy to clean. I simply take them, put them in the washing machine and run them through a wash cycle. Typically I don't use anything else, but sometimes I'll use bleach.

Quilt batting can only be used and cleaned about 2 or 3 times. A filter sock can be cleaned many times. I have about 10 filter socks and use them in pairs and do one cleaning run through the washing machine when I'm just installed my last clean set.

Both will will work, I just find filter socks taking up a lot less time.