DIY skimmer question.

Hey guys, im planning on building my own skimmer, i have the general idea of how i want to build it.

specifically from what i can see from plans on here.

I need to now the following tho,
I will be using an air stone in the bottom of the skimmer, but what do i use to pump the water through the skimmer? just a pond pump?

and both the intake and the exhaust should have some kinda cover on them so live stock cant get up into them right?

lcstorc

I am definitely not the one to answer this but I will move it to the DIY section and hopefully someone will be better suited to answer there.

DrHank

You want to maximize time in the contact time so I would recommend a powerhead. You'll want a limewood diffuser and a strong air pump like a big whisper pump.

If you decide that you want to save time and money, I have an old AMiracle air driven skimmer (it's the bigger of the two models they made) and a big Whisper air pump to go with it. Haven't used it in years but I can make you a good price since it's just sitting around doing nothing.

Lynn is probably too young to remember the old air driven skimmers. They work as good today as they ever did but very few people use them. The trick is to change the diffuser at the first sign that the bubbles are dropping off.

SemperSaint

When I made mine it acutally operated via siphon from a drilled opening in the side of my tank, so no pump was necessary. A ball valve at the bottom of the skimmer controlled the water level in the skimmer and it simply flowed into the sump. As for the air pump, I used a Coralife 7.0 psi Luft Pump and it worked very well.

jbjints

I am also thinking about building my own skimmer to save money but will I really be saving money by building my own skimmer? I kind of feel like I should just purchase a good skimmer once and be done with it. What do you think?

Frankie

RS STAFF
If your going to build a quality skimmer made out of acrylic and all then it would be cheaper to just buy a good skimmer. Unless your like me and are insane and like to build stuff not caring about cost. If that's the case, my skimmer build in my signature might be for you. Personally, air stone skimmers are not as efficient as other newer concepts but do work if done right. Check out the one Johnathan made here-> Skimmer Now that is some nog :)