DIY Refrigerated Aquarium Chiller

Cfour

G'day Guy's/Gal's,

Summer almost whiped out my tank this year from the heat & the Mrs's kicked my ass as we lost a couple of corals :golf: Ambients temps were 35c (around 94F) making my tank water temps 32c (around 90F) :look: I looked into purchasing an Aquarium chiller retail but just couldn't afford it :(

Now me being an avid DIY'er I figured how hard could it be to make a real chiller from scratch. I already had most of the parts lying around from old refrigerators/Air conditioners that I found in hard rubbish so I was pretty much set to go.

My parts:
-Compressor: Mini bar fridge
-Refrigerant used: R290 (or better known as BBQ gas) with a boiling point of approximately -53.4° C
-Condensor: 120mm with 2 x 120mm fans in push/pull config
-Evap: Air conditioner evap I hacksaw'd in half & re-welded
-Capillary tube: 2.8m of .031mm
-Fans: 4 x Random 120mm fans I had laying around running on 5v so very quiet, used a old pc power supply to run them
-Resorvior: Insulated 20Litre plastic tub :laughroll
-Copper: 1/2 roll of 1/4" copper refrigeration piping
-Valves: Couple of access valves for high/low side

Total cost: Approx $100AUD in random parts

System build after an eVac & charge:
2bxtlv.jpg

The tub with the copper pipe is the heat exchanger. The evaporator you see submerged in the water freezes to around -10c which in turn cools the water it's submerged in. The tank water is pumped out of the tank through the tubes, the tubes run through the freezing water & back into the tank. None of the water from the Resorvior is pumped into the tank & vice versa.
28widc3.jpg

ibjl12.jpg

Overall shot after I've tidied her up a bit:
2dse5c0.jpg

Got it setup at the front just for testing to see if the system needs adjusting before it goes at the back:
nz3wjl.jpg

Fully insulated the tub:
f4fkoz.jpg

Chiller at home at the back of tank. It's really quite a small chiller, fits in there nicely.
28uod50.jpg

25ahnv5.jpg

2ztfxn4.jpg

This pulled my 90L tank temps from 33c to 25c in about 2hrs in 35c ambients
23vet7t.jpg

At which point my tank heaters kicked in. I had to switch the device off in the end as my tank temps where still dropping :baby: All up this cost me just under $100AUD. I'm going to be getting one of these thermometers for it.

http://www.reefshops.com/digital-dual-mode-heater-and-cooler-controller-atc800.html

Cheers

C-BuZz

StirCrayzy

what is the wall size of your tubing running into the reservoir, and how much tubing is submerged in it?

What is the flow rate through the tube?

Most computer Power supplies are 12v output, how did you lower the voltage?

Good Job, i like the result.

Cfour

what is the wall size of your tubing running into the reservoir, and how much tubing is submerged in it?

What is the flow rate through the tube?

There's about 10m of 1/2" tubing & most of it is submerged in the cold water. No idea what the flow rate is, there is a 1500lph pump doing all the pumping.

Most computer Power supplies are 12v output, how did you lower the voltage?

Actually there is 3 different voltage rails available on pretty much every pc power supply, 3.3v (orange wire)/5v (red wire) & 12v (yellow wire) rails.

Cheers

Cfour

cbrownfish

Neat idea. Do you have copper and/or other metal in the actual saltwater that you are cooling? If so, you will have horrible metal contamination issues in a short period of time. Also, how is your pump and or gravity feed working exactly? Is the feed (drain hose from tank) a gravity drain controlled by the return pump or do you have matching pumps going both ways?

Neat idea. Do you have copper and/or other metal in the actual saltwater that you are cooling? If so, you will have horrible metal contamination issues in a short period of time.

I Have tons of compressors and coils at my disposal, but could never come up with an effective coating for the copper lines and coils. I played around with a few epoxy type coatings, but was unsure about their life in SW and couldnt ensure 100% coverage. I was always afraid of poisoning my whole system.

Id love to know how or what you used.

"None of the water from the Resorvior is pumped into the tank & vice versa."

I missed that line in between the pictures the first time i read the post

cbrownfish

Ah, so perhaps the poly tubing is coiled inside the chilled water, thus chilling the water that flows through the poly? That would make much better sense. I see the note between the pics now too jeepers.....thanks for pointing that out!

Cfour

Ah, so perhaps the poly tubing is coiled inside the chilled water, thus chilling the water that flows through the poly? That would make much better sense. I see the note between the pics now too jeepers.....thanks for pointing that out!

Thats correct. I've got around 10m of poly tubing coiled inside the tub of freezing water.

Tubing at the bottom with the freezing evap on top of it all in a tub of freezing water. There is no water in it at the moment, but you get the idea :)
t55639.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/t55639.jpg

Cfour