DIY LED Fixture - WORK IN PROGRESS!

swimmer4uus

I am not sure you can't... I am no electrical engineer, but I was under the impression that the electricity will take the path of least resistance. The diodes would offer more resistance than just wiring, so I was under the impression that if there was a less impeded route to take, the electricity would go that way.

Again, I could be wrong, but someone else can clarify if they know a little more about electricity. As I said earlier though, in the event of a failure, you could easily solder a piece of wire to the + and - pad of the offending diode in order to re-complete the circuit and get things lit again.

Part of being an engineering major, you're required to take many different classes. All you'd be doing, is wiring in a "wire" and the LED is parrallel. Assuming the wire is of little resistance, you're creatig a short circuit, shorting out the LED

chipmunkofdoom2

Yeah, that's what I assumed.. now of course, after the LED is burnt out, this will be of no consequence. I still don't know if the diodes conduct electricity after they're burnt out. I don't think they do.

chipmunkofdoom2

Thanks Brian, I knew I had been across it somewhere before. It is a pretty slick looking build... a shame he didn't use optics though.

hey hey hey, the sectional light was in MY head first! :eek:lsmile:
within the next week or so, ill start ordering my heatsinks.
gunna be (3)2"x10.8" or whatever the profile size was Evenly spaced out over my 36"wide tank. I only plan on spending at most $100. Ive got it all mapped out in my head. Guess it doesnt hurt working for one of the top led lighting manufacturers. :makefun:
Ive already got my leds 10.5v-12.8v approx 1.4A Bright as hell.
Soon my empty fishy tank will be a bright, empty fishy tank :O/

chipmunkofdoom2

The potentiometers came wired to the Buckpucks. I'm not sure what exactly you would use for yours, because the Buckpucks offered external dimming by default. The pots controlled the amperage.

chipmunkofdoom2

Yeah, something like that should work. If you can find a driver like the Buckpuck at the proper amperage, you could probably use one of those too... not sure though.

But yeah, definitely scarf up those LEDs if they're just throwing them away. With your setup (the large square LEDs) the biggest concern to me would be how to get proper color temp. If you had a lot of smaller blue LEDs, you can place them where needed to get proper blending. If you can score some blues that would be awesome.

unfortunately we don't do blue. we only use warm whites neutral whites and cool whites. But nothing blue. We even have red and amber leds. but no blue :tears:

chipmunkofdoom2

Ah, dang. Well the cool whites might be useful.

What kind of LEDs does your company make? Do you guys have a web page or anything?

Lighting Science Group Corporation

we made the times square new yrs ball, and the one 2 yrs ago.
I personally didnt, but the company did.

the leds (big squares) are considered "cool whites"

we just make lighting using leds, we dont produce the leds themselves.
the 2 companys I know we use are citizen leds and osram.
the golden dragon leds (osram) are bright, similar to the crees. we use those on several applications

chipmunkofdoom2

Ah okay, that's pretty cool.

A new gas station built locally has LEDs instead of HID or HPS outside over the pumps. You already know this, but they're insanely bright... they look like the Cree style LEDs. Probably going to be a lot of business in this sector in the coming decades.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! It's unavoidable... Dave Ramsey finds his way into any thread I'm in a lot :) Hey why not "share the wealth"?

chipmunkofdoom2

Haha, nothin wrong with that. Sharing the wealth is good :)

Me seeing everyone else with LEDs and being stuck with PCs... that is not, haha. I may have to set up this 2.5 gallon pico I have :D

Say, does anyone know if sitting outside for a period of a few months will destroy the silicone on a tank?