DIY CSXC type Chiller

reefguy

Hey everyone, I figured I would share what I have playing around with for a few days.

I have a 8 gallon bio cube that is up and running but since it's summer and I am in NYC I don't want to spend an arm and leg on a chiller and then it's 40$ a month power bill.... So I came across the CSXC-1 chiller and was like perfect... Then realized it was fairly expensive for my little nano. So I decided to see if I could make something like it and this is what I have come up with and guess what!? It works!! I am almost done but figured I would share.

This is the finished unit.
u9y9ymys.jpg

The insides
3epa8ema.jpg

A one thing that is different about this then what you would get with the CSXC chiller.

No thermostat and I did this because I have a apex. And it's not as pretty looking lol but it does what it supposed to do.

If you have questions please ask and if you want to know how to make it I can send you the equipment list. I was able to purchase EVERYTHING from amazon for a total cost of $60.23 and that includes shipping. Much better then $219.00 plus shipping IMO.

reefguy

Just missing the right size pump to fit the bio cube. The cold plate reads -2 degrees F. I am sure it can drop the water down 10 degrees at least.

reefer gladness

nice project! Peltier coolers are great for nanos if the right materials are used, let us know how it works out. Curious how many amps it draws?

reefguy

Doing great so far. It ran for 3 hours and got the temp down from 86 to 78 and have got it to hold steady at 78.

Frankie

RS STAFF
It would be cool if you could do it step by step with pictures on the build.