DIY Cakcium reactor questions

Adam Black

DIY Calcium reactor questions

I'm thinking I could do this. I've bought a 16 inch acrylic cylinder that's 4 inches wide. I bought the base of the Reactor but I'm thinking of going a different route and just using black acrylic. I'll be using a bubble plate on the bottom with a foam cylinder on top so that nothing gets past the bubble plate. first question is..Will a quiet one 1200 be to much pump for this size reactor?Here's a link...Aquarium Water Pumps & Water Movement: Quiet One Pumps

Ok got to go shopping now. Hope to hear everyones thoughts.

Last edited:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Adam, not too many people have built a Ca reactor, but there are a few. So just keep checking this thread for the DIYers. I know Frankie and Framerguy could give some advice.

Adam Black

Adam, not too many people have built a Ca reactor, but there are a few. So just keep checking this thread for the DIYers. I know Frankie and Framerguy could give some advice.

Yeah I don't think I've seen to many DIY CR here on RS. It looks really easy to do to. I have a acrylic shop about 45mins from my house so they can drill and tap everything. I have sch 80 1/2 inch plumbing already. Now I just need to get some weld on 16 (I already have weld on 4). I have a hole saw to cut the bubble plate with and a drill to add holes. I've been flame polishing scraps of acrylic and have gotten pretty decent. I just don't really know if that pump would be to much for the size of the cylinder I already have. I noticed a few company's use ehiem pumps with low gph. And others use mag 2 pumps rated at(250gph). Also was wondering about reverse flow. What the benefits are? Thanks

Frankie

RS STAFF
I built mine. It is a dual chamber. here is a flow patter picture.
000_2447_editedMedium.jpg

And one without
000_2441_editedSmall.jpg

The tubes are 5" wide each and I use this pump to circulate the right chamber. Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump

Adam Black

Nice job Frankie. There's nothing to it once you have everything cut.I like the way all the plumbing is under the stand. Black acrylic would of hid all the plumbing and the pump. Did you make the bubble counter also? What did you use to join the acrylic?Do you have pics with media in it? Nice job, thanks for sharing.