diy ats filter concept

rpalt1

This is an idea i have for a diy ats filter / fuge hang on the back would have srceen and air stone and front could be used either for fuge on chemical filtration ie purigen

atsfilter_zps47a16a5e.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

rpalt1

thks nanoreef drawing is side view sorry on how messy but its first time using paint hope you can get idea intake will be pumped into back What does everyone think

DaveK

One of the things about DIY projects is that in many ways your on your own, especially when your design is a bit different than existing plans. This is not necessarily bad, because you might come up with something better for your system. On the down side, DIY project usually need a few revisions to get it just right. This is to be expected.

On your ATS design. Generally I think it would work fine, but I do see one issue. Airstones tend to clog easily in SW, don't last too long, and the salt splash makes a mess. You might be better off using a small powerhead for circulation around the turf screen.

rpalt1

I thought turf screens needed air to develop proper algae growth? So just delete airstone ? I could definately provide good flow,by adapting an old spray bar from an old pequin filter. thats what my original idea was. I could mount spray bar at top and leave baffle open at bottom so water would go down screen and up thru other side then exit to tank. Do you think that would be better?

I thought turf screens needed air to develop proper algae growth? So just delete airstone ? I could definately provide good flow,by adapting an old spray bar from an old pequin filter. thats what my original idea was. I could mount spray bar at top and leave baffle open at bottom so water would go down screen and up thru other side then exit to tank. Do you think that would be better?

A lot of guys over at the Turf Scrubber forum use airstones. Not sure how long they last tbh. I'll link the site if your not familiar... plenty to read if your bored: http://algaescrubber.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?17-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-pictures& :wave:

rpalt1

I've been there looking at ideas thks My problem is no room for sump and have to make something unobtrusive so wife dosent complain Happy wife Happy life lol