DIY Aquarium Stand

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
DIY Metal Stand

Ok so i have started doing something NEW. Time will tell if its an idea worth continuing. A Bit of background, so nobody's first thought is "Thats Crazy". I may be crazy, but at least im sane.

OK ME >>>> Raised by a DIY Professional. Dad is a retired oilfield welder, with experience in Engineering, Mechanics, Plumbing, cabinetry, Electrical, and he even started building his own computers after i taught him the basics.
I have an affinity for IT(networking and electronics). I work at A scale company(one of the biggest in the South West US). We build custom scales for everything from floor/bench scales to weigh produce at your local store, to GIANT scales(weighing trains 1-4 cars at a time, while the train is in motion). So i have access to a full on Metal Fabrication Shop. I can get Steel through the company at cost, and have unrestricted use of the company Fab shop, including Welders, Grinders, Band Saws and i can even have stuff Powder Coated at company Cost. the benifit is i can build the stand very precisely and to fit around whatever sump/features i want.

So what i've started doing is building my stands out of Square Tubing. I incorporate a built in adjustable Light Rack Cross bar, often a Slide out Stainless Steel Deck for working Space(i get the Stainless steel sheet free(if i cut apart old scales myself). I weld the frame together myself, grind it all up nice and pretty. I make adjustments to the structure and polish it up nice. Then i can either use the Paint booth to paint it with several coats of paint(i buy the paint), or i can have it Powder Coated.

I buy some materials at Lowes/Home Depot:
1/2"-3/4" MDF or Cabinet grade Ply Wood
3/4" Ceramic Magnets
Corner Molding(optional if you have a router & Good selection of bits)
Crown Molding(also optional, but for what i do it works very well)
door handles(2 hole or single whichever suits me at the time)
wood Glue(I like the liquid nails, because its thicker.)
Drill bit (13/16" if you use 3/4" magnets. Magnet diameter + 1/16")

Depending on the lengh of the aquarium,(examples are 48"(75g) and 72"(150g)) I cut boards that cover the sides, front, and sometimes the back(only where sump is big enough and or noise is an issue). I use a fine tooth table saw blade to make good clean cuts. I pick out some nice corner/crown molding at lowes, and either route the edges to match, or add corner molding(optional, but it makes it look nice).

I take the MDF and go around everwhere the board will touch the frame and drill a hole(i use a premade JIG to keep the holes consistant) I glue and push the magnets into the holes so they'll be flush. I paint the base wood Black(i like black stands) front and back. I cut the Trim to LOOK like door frames(45 angles with a Miter Saw), and edge frames and paint that a different color(or all the same). Then i drill holes and attach the handles. (on a 48" Stand, its a 1 piece Front. on a 72" it will be 2 pieces.) so i cut/frame so it looks like 2 doors or 4 respectively. I drill and attach the handles so they look like handles for regular doors,

I'll document the process for the the 150 im building start to finish. I'll post pics of the 75g stand tonight.

The end result (especially when powder coated) is a water proof stand, with magnetically attached skins that look like a regular wood frame. The panels, front and sides all can come off at a whim, to slide in a new sump, or redo plumbing. It offers far more space to work with, with the only drawback being a bit of extra weight. The stand for the 75 with light rack weighs 55lbs(yes i checked LOL).

StirCrayzy

Sounds like an entertaining project. I bet you'll do well, what'sthe estimated price range? I'd prefer a steel stand over wood any day, is it 1" square tubing 1/8" wall thickness that you plan to use? Or 1/16" wall?
Can't wait to see some pics, count me in to tag along :lurk:

I think you should skin with stained or painted 1/4" birch or mahogany sheets, same price as mdf sheets, but half the weight. I don't see any benefit to using mdf other than the fact that it's pretty straight and flat. You don't really need the strength...

Dracko

Sounds great. Even if you were not using tubing, just cross braces, the big thing is going to be the ability to powder coat the whole thing. That alone will make sure the saltwater never causes weak spots. Bravo.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
the stand for the 75 is 1.25" Square tube 1/8 wall. The 150 is 1.5" 1/8 wall.

StirCrayzy

Ya know, just a thought, it would be really easy to weld on a bung for people to use levelling feet...

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
That is the stand that is currently under my 75. It was just finished being welded.
338_zpstoec93vi.jpg

getting Painted -->
334_zps4fmpvils.jpg

Here is how the 75 looks with the covers on, aquarium running, with New LED's.
541_zps5qlyk0u3.jpg

The stand for the 150 is about half finished. I'll post pics of the construction process as i get em.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
That was actually designed for a frag tank, so the covers are just plain plywood painted black, attached via magnets. The next one for the 150 will be a work of art.