DIY Alkalinity and Calcium

sirrealism

Hey everyone. So I was messaging with another member about my tank with 5 clams in it. "2 are over 1' long" and he wanted to know what I do to keep them so happy. I told him nothing but clean water, good lighting and lots of alk and cal. I go through 1 gal per week of alk and 1 gal every 3 weeks of cal. I told him I make my own cal and alk. He wanted to know how I do it so i thought I would make a thread on how I do it.
Now I would love to say this is my idea but its not. It comes from http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/chemistry Bookmark that site!!!!
Ok I will start with Calcium because its really easy. I live in FL so there is no dowflake here but for those of you that live in colder climates fallow the directions from the link I posted. I know it works using dowflake and have thought about ordering it online but the shipping is pricey. So for now I will do this with Kent turbo calcium. Only because most LFS carry it.
For this size its super simple. It works out to 400g per gallon. This container made 2 gallons. Fill your 1 gal jug with 0TDS RODI water but leave enough room for the calcium. Its not important to be exact on the 400g. I split the product in 2 and slowly add it to the RODI water. You will notice the jug getting warm but do not worry it wont get hot. Put the cap on and shake until it is disolved. Normally takes a min or 2. Thats it your done!!! so now you have 2 gallons of calcium that if you would have bought in liquid form would cost you 50+$ or much more depending on what brand or size you buy. I did a quick search and found this http://premiumaquatics.com/products...4GFpBAt6cxRDQr1dCLyO9_lI-p8deQbJ_caAk_a8P8HAQ. Its 17.50$ Most people pay that much for 32oz of liquid calcium. Also BRS sells It in bulk really cheap. I bought the 1gal and i can make 10 gal of calcuim from it and its 18$
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-b...ement-1-6aed81cf880f4f9090f0fa8fc5c25d62.html

Alk is pretty simple 2 but takes a bit more work. Here is what I use Notice the size. 4lbs Its a large box. Now 4 lbs makes 3 gal of alk. Yes by the advancedaquarist link I am off by just a bit but its so close I dont worry about it because I make it the same way every time. If you read the link it talks about if you need you PH down then dont bake it. I dont know anyone who does not need help with there PH so I always bake mine. So I use a large backing sheet and spread out the baking soda and bake it at 300 for an hour.
Now this is where it gets just a bit tricky. The baking soda does not dissolve easy. It dissolves much better in hot water. Couple options i have done. One is I put the jug filled about 3/4ths up in the microwave to get the water hot. It works ok but the last time I did this I used a large pot on the stove and boiled water then moved it off the heat and put my jug of RODI water in the put with the boiling water. I had to do this a couple times to get the water hot enough. If the water is hot enough the baking soda will dissolve with shaking. This takes a few times to get it right. I use a spatula to separate the baking soda into 3 even piles. I use a funnel to poor the baking soda into the jug .photobucket.com/albums
/af35/sirrealism01/2014-09-07175750_zps646f8c18.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
There is directions for Mag also but most dont need it.
I am sure I am missing something but at the moment I cant think of it so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Great overview! I'm the kind of person that buys the name brand stuff because i'm not sure of the ingredients so I always think its better. Now that I am looking at a larger tank, I am starting to think about maintenance and costs. I don't like how my CA reactor pulls my PH down so i have thought about a dosing cycle.

Question for you - shelf life, lets say i block off a Saturday and triple your recipe......any issue with that?

sirrealism

Also look at the ingredients in your brand name stuff. Its the exact same. I dont know how they get away with charging what they do. I have been making this for many years. All other stuff you might need is in a good quality salt.

DaveK

Great set of posts. I would add two points.

Test your magnesium when using this method. If that is low, it's very difficult to maintain calcium and alkalinity balance.

Be careful with "not made for aquarium products" such as Dowflake. It's use can be fine, but it can also contain other undesirable materials.

sirrealism

Agree Dave. I have not used Dowflake but the article suggested it and I do know some reefers that do use it and it works very well for them. I also agree to make sure your mag is good. I went through that with one of my tanks. I could not get my alk to come up. Tested my mag and it was 900. Once my mag got up to 1250 my alk settled down

hummer41269

cool thanks for info
I'm just starting the supplements side of things it can be confusing and expensive when you try too treat almost 300 gal 120 gal DT and a 170 gal sump

DaveK

cool thanks for info
I'm just starting the supplements side of things it can be confusing and expensive when you try too treat almost 300 gal 120 gal DT and a 170 gal sump

When you get up to a system this size, you can use a lot of 2 part additives to maintain everything. With this size of a system, consider a calcium reactor. Yes, the initial setup is a lot more expensive since you need a CO2 tank and regulator, and optionally a controller, but once set up it's easy to maintain.

Calcium reactors are often used with a kalk reactor used with an ATO. This provides another source of calcium.

As always with additives and reactors, make sure you really need them before you go out and spand money on them.

cracker

Great info Sirr, Iv'e benn using ocean blend 2 prt. I have two questions.1st being the amounts of Ca and Alk in your mix will be different from the brand I use now so,I will have to go thru the adjust again? 2nd question is the difference of baking the soda or not per PH. Thanks!

sirrealism

cracker. I think the cal and alk should be the same. If you read the link I posted it tells you what the mix is and I think its a standard to the hobby but dont quote me on that. On the 2nd question yes the difference of baking is PH. If you have high PH then dont bake it. If you run on the low side then bake it. 95% of us are always trying to get our PH up so thats why I said to bake it.

cracker

Thanks! By the way,It's a miserable 35 degrees here I almost had to put on long pants! But tomorrow it will be 70 LOL

sirrealism

I know what you mean. We had frost yesterday morning. I have a jacket on!!! But yes 70s this weekend makes up for it.

hummer41269

Some day I'm going to have to do cal and alk and things like that it seam so hard to do I would hate too mess it up ..wish you all lived close I learn better from doing...lol