Disaster, my fish got HIT !!!

Basile

I'm not sure if he hit himself or if my Yellow Tang got him , but that gash worries me. Anything i can or should do ?

-Look on the lower belly between the black bars. happened last night i'd say. nothing special happened, he still eats.

014-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

016.jpg

Fairly deep too.

Snid

I would consider moving him into a QT tank if any redness shows up in the injury, where you can keep the water conditions as spotless as possible to help prevent infection. At the very least I'd prep the QT/Hospital tank as much as possible, because if he shows signs of an infection you'll want to move him in there and treat him right away.

If you feed him garlic soaked foods in the meantime, it will help as well.

Basile

Thanks, my first reflex was to put him in a QT but he seems relaxed, he eats and someone said if he's doing all that, put him in a QT would probably stress him and i'd loose him because of it; so i'll leave him alone for now.

Basile

Someone suggested some conditioner with the slime coat replacement stuff what do you think ?

DaveK

Judging from the wound, I'd say your other tang had a disagreement with your convict tang as to who was going to be boss fish.

Usually these wounds heal quickly, so don't do anything unless you see it getting worse.

In my opinion, using any type of conditional with a slime coat is a big mistake in a reef system. This sort of glop can interfere with all sorts of other livestock and bacteria in the tank. In a quarantine tank, where it's just the fish, then maybe, since there is no other livestock and little bacteria.

Snid

I agree with Dave on the slime coat. Treating a fish for a disease before they even show they have it could stress them. And if you treated in the display tank, you'd be treating everything with 'who-knows-what?' side effects.

Also smart not putting him in the QT next. I should have put more emphasis on my statement about doing it only if the wound gets red, which would most likely be the beginning signs of infection.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey Basile,
Looks OK, clean gash. It should heal on its own. I recommend not doing anything. The fish should heal fine.
He is a bit on the fat side though. Check your feeding.

Basile

All healed UP YÉ

My convict tang Big "Z" is all heal up from his encounter with " mellow yellow " my yellow Tang. YÉ!!! Thanks guys

1520698_240722322762827_1934331083_n-1.jpg