Die Aiptasia! Die!

rckmtl

Ok, this post is in part to give my experience in using joe's juice to kill these horrid monsters, and in part, for me to have alittle fun letting the whole world see one die! Mwha-ha.

While I am ussually unsure about using chemicalss hwen I don't have to, I got like half a bottle for free and when my tank broke out in hundreds of the monsters I decided to use it.....well the first attempt didn't go se well. I think I had so many Aiptasias that I overdosed the joe's juice trying to kill them all at once, instead of a few every day.
My xenia started looking really bad and I had to do water changes and run carbon for about 2wks befroe they perked back up. Plus alot of the bigger Aipstasias did not die.

I tried again more recently, and It seemed to work better this time. I had taken the xenia out a few days before, and the rest of the corals were not affected this time. This time I did make sure to use a lot less, and to do a water change right afterwards.

Okie, here's the fun part. enjoy these pics.

The unsuspecting victim
5dlcna

Hope he's enjoying his last meal!
5dly84

Have to wait till tommorow for the final pic. anyone want to guess? Will it die overnight? or will it manage to hold onto life just long enough for me to rip it out with a pair of tweezers? results in 24hs.

Gina

RS STAFF
My guess is that it will hold on long enough to pull it out with a pair of tweezers!
Hope it's successfull!
Nice shots by the way!

rckmtl

Thanks guys!. Yeah, pics turned out pretty good. Can the next photo contest be aipastais? :) naw.. hopefully by then i won't have any!

As of this morning i can't see it when I look for it, but it could just be buried in the sand. We'll find out tonight!

Frankie

RS STAFF
bummer no pictures up:( and i really wanted to see them die. maybe you will post them or put them in your gallery so i can see?

rckmtl

Here ya go frankie, I wouldn't want to let you down!

Here is the tiny one a day after eating a dose of joe's juice. as you can see, it went and hid under a rock. It has not expanded like normal and is darker, but also does not seem to be on deaths door.... I'm going to give it another day before yanking it to see if it expires or improves
5e5vg8

Here are a couple of pics from other Aipastasia's in my tank. again, they are not doing well, but have not dissolved into a mass of nothingness like I was hoping
5e5toi

5e5vmt

corvettephreak, I am pretty sure the nitrate levels would increase, I figure that doing a water change, or running carbon would be enough to counter that, and I plan on doing so anyway to remove any residuals from the chemical.

:time: well, I'll give another update tommorow for anyone(like me) whose taste for carnage was not satisfied by the sight of these pathetic critters holding onto life

Gina

RS STAFF
Are you going to yank it out or dose it again? We have one in the back of our tank and have tried to erradicate it with no success several times. The rock is too large to take out so, for now he's been left alone.
Keep us informed of how it goes!

rckmtl

The ones in the sand, I am going to yank out. The ones that are left on the rockwork all have their foot stuck deep in a hole, so I will have to keep dosing them. They have to die eventually... they'd better anyway. The one pep.shrimp I got is not clearing them out, and I don't have the money or the space to dump in 4-5 just for pest control.

More updates tonight!

rckmtl

Well, the little buggers were looking almost perky this evening, so I gave them a second dose of joe's. This will make 2 doses, 2 days apart. hopefully they have been weaked by the 1st dose and will subcum to fate this time.

corvettephreek

doni- lemon juice? really? is it like some kind of forced osmotic shock? sounds cool, and hope everything works out ellen.... youll get em... :)

rckmtl

Allright, here are the final results. No pics though cuz my batt's are recharging.

The second dose killed off all the smaller aip's, and by small, I mean ones with an oral disk of 1/6th of an inch across of less. The larger ones are still hanging on and probably will recover.

I'll probably just use some epoxy to seal of the biggest ones and try and scrape off the smaller ones here and there when I do water changes. probably throw in another shrimp when I get a chance.

But I've got less of the buggers now anyway, and that's a good thing!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
corvettephreek said:
doni- lemon juice? really? is it like some kind of forced osmotic shock? sounds cool, and hope everything works out ellen.... youll get em... :)

I've never used lemon juice but I have heard of others using it successfully. It is really acidic. Some use boiling water, kalkpaste (really high ph), lime juice, etc.

Good luck eradicating it! Keep us posted.