DID YOU CRASH and what about it?

What Happened? What did you do? Why come back?

• I lost too much money.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I had to quit He/she ; made me.

• I had too much damages.

• I was discusted.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I had a nervous breakdown.

• I pick up and started a new one.

• I started a new one but smaller.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I started even bigger.

• I sold my house.

• My wife/ my husband ; left me.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I came back becaused i missed it too much.

• I came back becaused i had the money .

• I came back becaused i was able to get money.

• I came back becaused i'm retired now and i can look after it better

• I used all my saving to come back.

• I quit my job and restart my hobby.

• You have to have something in life other than work.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Better this than alcohool.

• I won money so i came back

• I came back because the people here help each other

• This is a great place to make friends.

• You learn a lot here.

• I found a new cat

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

This thread was to find out what people do and what happens to them when they loose not only a tank , but a hobby because this hobby includes not hundreds but usually thousands of dollards and equally thousands of hours put into it. A lot of aquarist sometime due to financial restraint or pressures from spouses can never continue or rejoin are community due to the unfortunate accident or disaster that as happened to them, either, from lost of power, which was my case, to tank crashes, to tank explosion, breakdowns, floodings of others and court orders forbidding ownership of aquarium( happened to a friend) or other circonstences that made this hobby difficult to some. And i've invited those to who'm those painfull experiences happened including a divorce.... to tell us about what made them come back and where are they now. You now have the floor if you have such a story......

lbiminiblue

This thread was to find out what people do and what happens to them when they loose not only a tank , but a hobby because this hobby includes not hundreds but usually thousands of dollards and equally thousands of hours put into it. A lot of aquarist sometime due to financial restraint or pressures from spouses can never continue or rejoin are community due to the unfortunate accident or disaster that as happened to them, either, from lost of power, which was my case, to tank crashes, to tank explosion, breakdowns, floodings of others and court orders forbidding ownership of aquarium( happened to a friend) or other circonstences that made this hobby difficult to some. And i've invited those to who'm those painfull experiences happened including a divorce.... to tell us about what made them come back and where are they now. You now have the floor if you have such a story......
why would a court prhobitt that?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Gotta say... I took this thread, as one of encouragement - starting over & back into the hobby - as this is what RS is all about - helping each other have SW success & encouraging one another.

On a forum, we all bring different experiences and we post from where we are & from what we have experienced - as an example Paul B tank of 40 plus year... I don''t think has crashed, but many many tanks have, so we all share from where we are - I don't see Mike post as saying he will never have a crash, just has not yet & hopes not too.

Mike I can say... if you have read many RS post & been on RS much, you would not think of RS as anything but full of encouragement as the rule... if you don't feel this way, read more post :) RS is the nicest reefing forum on the net.

Let's not let this thread go downhill... is my only point - lets use it to help people have swt success, and respect that everyone is posting from their experiences and use it to encourage any one that had a crash get back in the game, as many can have empathy and start again.

Cheers mates !

Basile

why would a court prhobitt that?

I flooded 2 appartments, was not there ( i'm a sailors the power shut OFF but some system didn't restart when the power came back on) , to help with the damage control, mushroom took and ran into 5 different appartments , total damage over $ 400 000 on 3 floors, my insurance didn't cover all and unable to pay i had two choice 1 year in jail or 5 years without any kind of pets or tank in my unit. i live in condo's.

Basile

I disagree with the statement, "If you haven't had a tank crash on you, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when." I kept SW back in the early '90's. But let's talk more recently. Right now I have three tanks, 8 years old, 5 years old, and almost 2 years old. None of them have "crashed".

Yes re-reading it i must say i jump the gun and misunderstood the message, your not talking about not ever getting a crash but rather when it will happen, my mistake. Wonder how i miss that. My appologies.

Mike Johnson

It's my birthday today and I received a birthday greeting from Reef Sanctuary. I'm not sure what brought me to this site in the first place - probably researching something. The site was actually on my "favorites". I really didn't intend to create any controversy; I was just trying to state that you can have a successful aquarium. If we told every new person to the hobby that doom and gloom is imminent it would certainly be a dying hobby. I have sincere sorrow for those who have had catastrophes. I've had a couple nightmares that have really shook me up. And, once my tank overflowed and buckled a two week old oak plank floor. Basile your apology is accepted and maybe I should have worded my response better. I'm sure if we met in person that we'd be friends.

Basile

It's my birthday today and I received a birthday greeting from Reef Sanctuary. I'm not sure what brought me to this site in the first place - probably researching something. The site was actually on my "favorites". I really didn't intend to create any controversy; I was just trying to state that you can have a successful aquarium. If we told every new person to the hobby that doom and gloom is imminent it would certainly be a dying hobby. I have sincere sorrow for those who have had catastrophes. I've had a couple nightmares that have really shook me up. And, once my tank overflowed and buckled a two week old oak plank floor. Basile your apology is accepted and maybe I should have worded my response better. I'm sure if we met in person that we'd be friends.

Thats cool,Happy birthday sorry for the mess..... these days i'm surviving with the doctors pills until i can go back to work, and i'm planing my next tank set up that i can only exercise next november when the court order expires. Its a 3 level starfire tank set up lol if your gona come back might as well do it in style lol.

Mike Johnson

This is what it's all about, my pets. Rocky the Raccoon Butterfly is eating aiptasia from another tank, the Wife-Eating Piranha is thinking other things.