Diatom outbreak and a diatom filter

bryceK

Ok so I am one month into my new tank set up and for a week now I have been having my diatom outbreak. I am keeping the lights off for the most part. I turn them on for about an hour a day right now. I wanted to ask though do the diatom filters work to help get rid of this? My dad swears by them for his freshwater tank but it is just that freshwater. What about with saltwater??

Luukosian

I've used a diatom filter on my tank a few times, makes the water super clear. I don't do it often but once or twice a year maybe, to suck up all the detritus that builds up on the rocks.

In a new tank I wouldn't really worry about it too much, when you first start out you're almost guaranteed to go through a small diatom phase. If you use one just be extra careful no powder gets in the tank or you will make it worse....better yet just use a micron filter in it and skip the powder.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Yes they can be used in saltwater your tank is just going through its diatom phase do you have a clean up crew?

DaveK

Diatom filters can remove the diatoms in a new tank, but it's not really necessary. They will go away soon anyway.

If you can borrow your dad's diatom to clean them up OK, but don't go out and spend a ton of money to get one. I have one, but only use it once or twice a year to "muck out" the tanks. There are far better places to spend money in this hobby.

PS-If you do use a Diatom filter, make sure you know exactly how to set it up and run it. It's real easy to get a lot of diatom powder into the tank if you don't.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Diatom filters are called that as they use Diatomaceous earth (fossilized diatom skeletons) as the filtering material - they're great for removing suspended algae, particles, free swimming parasites, and even bacteria. They aren't really designed to remove diatoms, although if they're in the water column it will remove them. They're mainly used to give excellent water clarity. The diatom phase in SW tanks is one that we pretty much have to suffer through.

bryceK

Thanks all, my dad mentioned to me but he has never had saltwater so he doesn't know much in that realm. That is why I wanted to ask. I had never heard of that filter until he mentioned it.