derasa color

athomps121

View attachment 4867View attachment 4868View attachment 4869

So I bought a Derasa last week, and it's pretty cool. I'm just wondering why the colors that show up when you look strait down are so much more vibrant and neon as opposed to when you look from the front? Is there a way I can change this so I can actually see those colors without taking the light off?

Attachments

• P1020462.JPG
    P1020462.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 72
  • P1020457.JPG
    P1020457.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 71
  • P1020467.JPG
    P1020467.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 71

Frankie

RS STAFF
A clam will always position itself toward the light to expose as much zooxanthellae as possible. That is why it looks different when viewing from the top.
It has to do with the iridescent colors and the direction of the light.

athomps121

well I don't like that one bit...it looks so much more dull when you view it normally, but hey, I'm sure it still has time to color up some more.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Build a viewing box so you can look down into the tank more often. You will notice most of your corals, fish and clams look better from the top down. Here is a shot from a viewing box I made out of some scrape acrylic I had laying around.
000_2295_editedSmall.jpg

And the same clam from the side:
006-1-1.jpg

Here is a picture of my viewing box being used to clean some new incoming corals frags.
9b677376.jpg

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You need a clam tank shallow for top down view or a tank with the front panel that has a 45 degrees angle :D

Kovu

So is this why alot of stores have their coral tanks so you can see on top of them, so they look better and sell quicker.

DesertOrchid

Build a viewing box so you can look down into the tank more often. You will notice most of your corals, fish and clams look better from the top down. Here is a shot from a viewing box I made out of some scrape acrylic I had laying around.
000_2295_editedSmall.jpg

And the same clam from the side:
006-1-1.jpg

Here is a picture of my viewing box being used to clean some new incoming corals frags.
9b677376.jpg

Pretty Clam! Love that blue and purple. Are you using MH or the HO fluoros on it??