Dendro Help

untilthen

Well my dendro doesnt open during the day ever and thats when i do all my feeding and while im awake at night i dont notice it open as well... i wake up early during the morning sometimes and i do notice its open but im usually to tired to feed it... is their any methods to changing its feeding habits to during the daY?

framerguy

Is it in the shade? If it is in the light it is unlikely to open during the day. Put it under an overhang where you can still get to it and feed it. Use a syringe and dust it with phytoplankton and live baby brine shrimp (artemia) at least twice a day (more if you can), everyday, at the same time. You may induce it to open on your schedule. They are voracious feeders and need to be fed almost constantly. You will most likely need a powerhead pointed directly at it also. They are the most difficult coral on the market. Good luck.

funkpolice

this sounds like another case of the word dendro. Which dendro are you talking about. Dendronepthya is a soft coral that requires continuous feeding and a specialized tank with dedicated flow patterns and feeding. It is all but doomed in most home aquariums. Dendrophyllia is pretty much an over grown tubastrea(sun coral) that is pretty simple to care for concidering it's not photosynthetic. These can eat surprisingly large pcs of meaty foods. I've had luck using cyclopeeze to get them to open up and prepare to eat, then I feed either mysis, clams, or silversides. My dendros are open 24hrs a day, and eat like pigs.
bill

untilthen

it is deffinately a Dendrophyllia sorry for the confusion... it seems hardy just doesnt wanna open until early moring.. i think im gonna try shading it... i have a decent flow on it but it seems hair algae is creeping up around the outside of each polyp... u think this is irratating it as well?

framerguy

Dendrophyllia is an entire family of corals including Tubastraea, duncans, turbinaria etc. and is to wide of a word to ask a question about. When I hear dendro, I think dendronephthya every time.

yep, just say sun coral.
Shading will help a bit if it is still light shy.
Try using the top of a 2 liter bottle to cover it. Then you can spray some food in and screw on the cap. This will give it time to open and feed without being disturbed and a great way to get it on your schedule.

Good luck!

funkpolice

framerguy, dendrophyllia is genus, not a family. It does not include tubastrea or anything else. It's a pretty rare import. I belive you are confusing the genus dendrophyllia with the family dendrophyllidae. Dendrophyllidae does in fact include the genera Tubastrea, turbinaria, duncanopsammia, and dendrophyllia. I would think the hair algae is a major contributor of the closed polyps. My dendrophyllia are completely exposed to the light, and have a pretty strong flow one them. Most times you can still feed them even if they aren't completely open, but I know how it feels to have a sweet coral that isn't open when you want to look at it. Try to set a feeding schedule that you want and stick to it, eventually they will catch on. If your coral is in fact dendrophyllia and not tubastrea it will, when healthy, stay open the majority of the day.

Rotorgeek

Mine are in the open with lots of flow. If the polyps appear dead do not remove because it might just regenerate. It happened to me. I went from 2 polyps to 8

Rotorgeek

Mine are open all day and night. They do not have direct flow at the polyp. The flow i have hits them on the right side. I also have my Orange and Black Sun Corals in the open with strong direct flow and they seem to like it very much. They stay closed till about 6pm (feeding time).

funkpolice

+1 for high flow. When I first got my dendros they would only half open, I moved them to get at a bunch of zoas one day, and happened to put them in front of a power head, by the time I went to move them back they were fully opened. Since then I've kept them in heavy flow areas and they are always open.
bill