deltec nitrate filter problem

grover

hi guys,

noticed today that the sulphur beads in my nitrate filter are getting dirty. Its like this black sort of powder thats starting to form, especially on top. Is this normal? its been running now for 2 weeks.

thanks,
Hans.

grover

hi, No, its in a cabinet. I turn on the lights when checking on the equipment, but otherwise its dark in there.

JulesVane

Did you start with VERY HIGH nitrates? I just did some research and they suggest that when your sulfur gets "black" in it, it's time to take it apart and rinse the sulfur and replace the coral media. But, you've only been running it for two weeks and this seems WAY too early. It wasn't "used", was it?

grover

hi, no, its a brand new deltec system. Just two weeks old. Nitrates couldnt be high as the tank is two weeks old as well. I did have a day where the drip stopped, and the water was stagnant inside. Could that be it?

JulesVane

Well, I've been running my Midwest Aquatics XL Denitrator for a couple of months now. Great piece of equipment IMO. But keeping that drip rate has proved a bit of a problem. I even bought a pinch valve from Marine Depot that's "Not supposed to clog", but it hasn't been perfect for sure. Sometimes my nose will lead me to check an odor of sulfur and sure enough, drip rate dropped. But, I've yet to see any "black".