Deltec mc500

mjs1981

Hey people I know there's a thread about this but after reading it over an over again I'm still having problems setting up my deltec mc500 skimmer I have it set up exactly the way everyone one here has advised yet I'm still having problems with massive overflow of wet skim sometimes its that bad it's leaked over the back an left a puddle on the floor surely this isn't right I've cleaned it over an over again so I know it's not blocked up
The skimmer has been in the tank now atleast 3 months the tank is almost 12 months old so I'm pretty certain this isn't a settling in period
Please someone help me I'm at the point of almost ripping my hair out

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do you have an ATO?

We had one member of the club (sapphire) run one for years on her RSM 130 & she just loved it & was always bragging on it - I do remember Sapphire saying water level was key - if this helps any.

See what other members that are running one say...

From what I can remember... most RSM 250 owners run the stock skimmer, so not sure how many RSM 250 owners are running the Deltec MC500 in a RSM 250.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Found this on post... that you may have read

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...10-deltec-mc500-red-sea-250-here-we-go-3.html

when reading it... made me think.... remember - "5th notch down" is absolutely related the in display tank gate height (also the huge key for getting the stock skimmer to work too)

just a guess... I know deltec is a quality skimmer... I bet the display tank gate height is key to solving the problem, being you have an ato

Hope this helps or that some members running the deltec skimmers can advise...

bjasontoups

My stock skimmer valve is fouled up. Just installed a used deltec today and the valve setting in sensitive. Still in the adjustment and wait stages but notice the valve worked better when wet?!? But mine would overflow with the slightest turn and i would have to close and start over.

Going to read the previous post from glen but would like to know if you get yours worked out.

Good luck

Anders351

I run the mc500 on my 250 with the lid shut with no probs , only open the air valve half way , I also drilled a small hole on the side of the skimmer cup and glued a fitting that took a air line tube down to container when or if it over skims into the cup , also don't run the skimmer after water changes or aqua scapping or aptasia x removal as I found these send the skimmer crazy , hope this helps

bjasontoups

AAAAHHHH!!!!!! My used Deltec moter is not running right. might be washers or gasket. perpeller wheel not turning right. Temp fix to old RSM 250 skimmer, I'm using the air valve from the Deltec to regulate the bubbles. Works great.

trying to find new washers and gaskets or new motor for deltec!!!!!!.:maddown:

mjs1981

Almost at the point now of throwing this deltec mc500 out the window I have come back to a soaking wet carpet cos its pumping water out of the collection cup I have it set up how everyone else has there's set up I here the collection cup is at the point of almost balancing ontop of the skimmer yet it still pumps wet skim to the point it goes over the top an soaks my carpet
I have spoken to D&D about it followed there instructions yet still it isn't right I have asked charterhouse aquatics who I purchased it off for help yet they seem to ignore me please someone help me

bmp

I installed the deltec in my RSM250 a few months ago and it works really well - but it does take a bit of setting up.

I have the water level in the side set to 3 from the top. I use an auto top up to maintain this level.

I have the skimmer set as low as possible - the deltec label is still visible on the side of the skimmer.

The skimmer weir (little paddle thing !!) is pushed as far down as possible. The air valve is fully open.

I then just use the skimmer cup height to control the amount of skimming. Sometimes I do have to have it set very high - almost falling out to stop it filling up straight away. Usually just after a water change. I cant close the lid when the cup is set too high.

I also clean the inside of the skimmer body every few weeks. I find this keeps it more stable.

The skimmer does work really well and it really does reduce the temperature of the tank by at least 2 degrees.

Hope this helps.

mjs1981

Hey bmp thanks for your reply
I have mine set exactly the same way except mine is 4 notch down an set by auto top up
I don't suppose you have any pictures you could share of how your skimmer is set up (hanger height, air valve etc)
How often do you empty your skimmer cup?

bmp

I just realised that I actually have mine set on the 4th notch too - didnt notice the one at the top !!

I empty the cup every 2 or 3 days. Dont forget to clean the blue sponge too. I do that every week. Just rinse it out in the water that I take out of the tank during water change.

On the following photos I have the collection cup set quite high as i only did my water change late yesterday. I lower it down bit by bit as the week goes on.

I have just taken some photos for you. Have a look here .. Deltec MC500 - a set on Flickr

Here are just a few of them the rest are in the link above...

8241259303_dc5ed13fb5_z.jpg

8242331042_5f89386c62_z.jpg

8241277471_497209f414_z.jpg

Thanks

BMP

mjs1981

Thanks so much I really appreciate your help
Just checked my blue sponge an it's got loads of gunk in it so will give it a clean now
What filter media do you run?

bmp

Cleaning the blue sponge every week or two will help.

I usually just use rowaphos and carbon. I am just trying out a bag of chemipure elite too.

I used to have the rowaphos in a reactor on my rsm130 but I just have it in a filter bag in the rear chamber. Seams to work ok in there.

BMP