Deltec mc500 in 250 C series?

Seton

Thinking of now upgrading my skimmer. Have read lots of posts on fitting them in the 250 but just wanted to know if they will fit the C series too?

I also assume the lid will close fully?

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Have not seen any post of them in a C model , maybe someone else will know

Seton

Mmm, that's what I thought...haven't seen any threads about upgrading in the c series......perhaps the skimmer has improved from the original..

Pat24601

Mmm, that's what I thought...haven't seen any threads about upgrading in the c series......perhaps the skimmer has improved from the original..

I think this is correct.

I've looked into this at least some and what I concluded was that the C-250 skimmer was a big improvement over prior model MAX 250 skimmer and thus there was real no reason to change from it. It's good as is.

I've never heard of anyone running anything other than the stock skimmer in the C-250. Well, except maybe people that added a big sump and/or other plumbing, but that's a different issue.

Now a number of people (including me) have had impeller issues after a year or two, but we just replaced it and it's as good as new.

Seton

I think this is correct.

I've looked into this at least some and what I concluded was that the C-250 skimmer was a big improvement over prior model MAX 250 skimmer and thus there was real no reason to change from it. It's good as is.

I've never heard of anyone running anything other than the stock skimmer in the C-250. Well, except maybe people that added a big sump and/or other plumbing, but that's a different issue.

Now a number of people (including me) have had impeller issues after a year or two, but we just replaced it and it's as good as new.

Thank you for this reply. It confirmed what I thought.

Can I ask where your water level is at? I do have an auto top up but I could be running the level a little too high...

Pat24601

Thank you for this reply. It confirmed what I thought.

Can I ask where your water level is at? I do have an auto top up but I could be running the level a little too high...

Right now I have it really almost precisely at that little plastic line in the middle of the "optimal water level" window on the side of the tank. I've also run it a little high and a little low, though. It's been fine so long as I adjust the skim adjustor water gate thingy (whatever that is called) to match the water level.

It really can be a challenge (with any skimmer ?) to get it set exactly right. Basically, I move it a little, let it run a day and see what it does, and then move it again until it's about right. Even then it will go crazy if I stir up the water or die down when my water gets cleaner.

I just kind of figure so long as I'm close and it's doing something that's good enough. And, it seems to be. I really rarely have water quality issues. Of course, I also do water changes at least once every two weeks, so that helps.

Seton

Thanks for replying, it helps a lot.

My skimmer dies down too, just when I think the level is correct...it's so annoying. However when yours drops, do you adjust the weir gate again or let it adjust itself?

I think some of my overflowing problems have been because I make too many adjustments in a short time then it goes mad. I will do small adjustments and wait 24 hours. I just thought that once you raised the bubbles then that would be the correct level...but apparently not :duh:

Thank god I got myself an ato !

Pat24601

Thanks for replying, it helps a lot.

My skimmer dies down too, just when I think the level is correct...it's so annoying. However when yours drops, do you adjust the weir gate again or let it adjust itself?

I think some of my overflowing problems have been because I make too many adjustments in a short time then it goes mad. I will do small adjustments and wait 24 hours. I just thought that once you raised the bubbles then that would be the correct level...but apparently not :duh:

Thank god I got myself an ato !

It's hard to set a skimmer "correctly" in my opinion. So, really what I do is move it a little and see how it reacts over 24 hours. Then once I seem to be getting a decent amount of skim over a longer period of time (say 3 - 5 days), I just flat out leave it there. I stop adjusting.

I'm not sure that's technically perfect advice, but it has served me well and kept me sane. I think trying to chase the optimal skimmer level will just drive you crazy.

Naturally, if it's just overflowing or running ridiculously wet, or if it's just running too dry and I'm getting nothing at all, I adjust it until I get some bubbles coming (say) half way up the neck and then I start making some small adjustments from there.

When I get it someplace close, I leave it. It's just not worth it (in my opinion) to micro-manage it.