Death of father, and lack of time on forums.....

Squatch XXL

First things first....This may or may not be graphic and/or offensive. This is off-topic, but I try to remember that not everyone is as callous as me.

I have not been as active as usual, though I am realistic that I am probably the only person to think that. This is hands down the best world wide forum that I have found for Salty fish tanks.

I ventured into the OT forum today to basically vent. Hopefully I don't get banned.

On 09-11-2016 while everyone in the USA was reflecting on the national day of past terrors, our family was going through all the garbage associated with life.....And by "garbage" I mean the eventuality that we all face.

My father would have been 61 years old 10-24-2016.

He had been living with ALS for 5+ years, and it finally beat him. We as family were all very lucky to have him for the time we did. We are all happy that he is no longer suffering. He was surrounded by ALL of his kids and grandkids as he passed on. It was surreal, and it still is. I am still slowly processing it.

It has affected all of us in various ways. In one goofy aspect, we have been mourning for years. As his motor skills failed, we lost our father, friend, co-hunter and at times a drinking buddy. I don't feel guilt in saying that it is a relief. I don't feel guilty to say that I am saddened however. We have as a family operated much much better than I expected....We, like any other family have more issues than Time magazine. Somehow everyone has acted like evolved human beings. I took time off of work to help out, and don't actually know if/when I will go back. We have had to remove a number of handicapped person things from the house...because my mom was having issues with it still being there...things like his custom recliner that would stand him up...ADA toilette and seat...I am keeping the seat to this commode. It is an $800 seat that is heated, and does it all. ALL of it. Sit, then get.....And EVERY function on the seat can be controlled by a remote.

Anyone who has looked at my 40 gallon reef page can see in the first few pages .....Beer cans. Lots of beer. Somehow in 2 days I will have 9 months without a single drink. Its just not worth it to me to even ponder a drink. Life is too good to drown out, even in the "worst" of times.....I used to constantly think "Well great, what else could go wrong"....and then something did.....so I don't do that anymore lol.

I used to visit the site multiple times a day. I enjoy looking at others tanks, and their successes and failures. I do love giving advice based on my personal experiences, while I feel that I have a grip on the fact that I know next to nothing about reef tanks lol. There are soooo many great & experienced members of this site, and they have answered my questions indirectly in posts to others. I guarantee that my current "success" is in part to the sharing of info that goes on so freely there.

I need to visit this site more often...especially now. It is amazing how busy an unemployed sober pipefitter can get....It is somewhat surprising.

Totally off topic:

I was on another fish site years ago.....One post in the OT forum was all it took for a lifetime IP/email ban.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father Squatch, I know this is a very sad and difficult time for you and your family. You have my very deepest sympathy and prays.

Your absolutely right
Life is too good to drown out, even in the "worst" of times

and thanks for being such a great Reef Sanctuary member, hope to see you on RS more than ever, I always enjoy your post !!!

fidojoe

Fish Addict
ALS is a nasty thing to deal with. It's heartbreaking hearing about people suffering through it, and bittersweet when they don't have to suffer anymore. I'm so sorry to hear about your father, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Also, kudos to you for trying to keep a positive outlook, and making the life changes to make yourself happier.

Squatch XXL

making the life changes to make yourself happier.
Its funny really. His condition years ago "excited" my ability to consume massive amounts of beer.....but somehow toward the end, it also solidified reality of what I was doing.....and basically smashed my face with reality that all of us are stuck with a terminal condition called life. It gave me a boot in the ass to really learn how to live life on its terms, and not mine. I have had lots of help to get back on my feet from friends new and old. Being present while I am here is very important.