Dead Pepermint?

rlcline76

Aaaah, speaking like I know what's what when I do not, is my favorite activity. So now we are just back to the dead shrimp being dead for the heck of it.
Did you get it from the same LFS as the other fish?

plecosword

Aaaah, speaking like I know what's what when I do not, is my favorite activity. So now we are just back to the dead shrimp being dead for the heck of it.
Did you get it from the same LFS as the other fish?
yes saddly. No more Tongs. :smack: somehow, the snail and hermit i bought from them are still crawling, just a miracle.
Not even! the red hermit died mysteriously also.

Origami2547

Freshly mixed saltwater is often very basic (basic is the opposite of acidic. Acidic is a pH below 7 while basic is above 7) because it is starved for CO2. That's why we typically aerate & age our freshly mixed saltwater before putting it in our displays (to let the pH stabilize). What is the salinity in your display? How often do you do a water change? Iodine is a trace element that often is not managed because suffient replenishment comes through water changes. If you do begin to dose, be sure to get a test kit. Don't dose if you can't measure.

Last edited:

bluespotjawfish

Sudden change in pH and/or high nitrates would be my guess. Perhaps when you did top off, it was concentrated in close proximity to him. THey don't tolerate a lower salinity like that would have caused. Iodine is important, but in the short time you had him, I doubt it was the cause of death.

lcstorc

That salinity is a bit low. I would raise it a bit. Your PH will always be lowest right before the lights come on and highest just after the lights go out so that may explain the different readings.
Here are a few great basic reef chemistry articles. If you want more go to the chemistry section and look at the stickies. There is a lot of great information there.

Chemistry and the Aquarium

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Sounds like you have a bit of a chemistry problem which may or may not be why the shrimp died. They are at their most vunerable right after a molt so it could have been most anything.

Origami2547

Hey plecosword, what's that growing on the back wall in your first picture? Do or did you have a cyanobacteria outbreak underway? Makes me wonder if you might really have a nitrate problem despite your test reading. Do you have any way of getting a second independent measurement on nitrates and phosphates?

I'd also bring your salinity up over a week or so. I run mine at 1.026 which is better for the inverts.

Any possibility of a heavy metal, such as copper, being present in the water? If there are contaminants in the water, a poly filter might help in this case.