Dead In The Water

Tasslehoff

Hi All

Icedeath 2010 hit my area on Friday morning. My power was off until Monday night. Generator ran out of gas somewhere in the middle. My tank is back in the 80s but it bottomed out at 38 degrees on Sunday. Fish didn't make it. So far it looks like the reef had about a 50% casualty rate but I expect that will rise. Water changing at every chance. Wish I could find the turbo button on my RO/DI. Oddly enough my brittle star survives it's second disaster in 10 years. Need suggestions for a name to give this bulletproof guy. He's earned it.

I'd like to ask your opinions about the live rock. I've got quite a bit of it in there. Covers about 45% of the volume of a 150 gal. Is it dead rock now? Leave it alone it will bounce back? Can it be resurrected and if so how?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Psalm 41:11

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Paul it's my understanding (open for interpretation mind you) that the bacteria in the rock wont suffer much of a hit because it will be fed by the now dead and dieing matter. It will recolonize any losses very quickly.

Sorry for your loss. I'm not sure where Willston TN is but we got slammed here in Western NC as well. Good luck and if there's anything I can do don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Tasslehoff

Thanks BigAl That's good news

Williston is about 50 miles east of Memphis All my kin are in Salisbury NC.

Paul

reefmasta

damn sorry to here man, all is i can say is ride it out and kinda start over! kinda gives you the chance to do a GOOD maintence on it (idk how old this system is) but i no after a couple years if ur sand bed isnt moved good by critters it will be a detritus bed. so i would clean it now and do any mods to the tank now! lol. but on the other side, ur rock is fine by what your thinking of, now the coralline might white up and plants will go and alot of little stuff also but it will eventually come back. and ur brittle star yes they are VEERRRY hardy animals. i live in FL and this is where most are collected and we had RECORD water temps since WAYY back in time in the low 40's. (think summer is around 85-90 Degrees) so its a big change. but alot of those critters allll survied suprisingly.

Tasslehoff

Thanks for the good vibes. I'm keeping positive about the whole thing. Your right -- there is opportunity in this. Upgrades and new friends.

I'm not real sure when I started this tank I had it up a year or two when I moved to my current house so best guess is 16 years.

Unless I hear a better one, I think I'll name Mr. Brittle "Xerxes".

Paul

WayneT

Sorry to hear that. We were lucky up here in Paris, TN we got about 7 inches of snow but no ice.

I'm seriously looking into a tri-fuel generator that will work on my natrual gas which still flows even in the event of a blackout. I also have a wood stove in the house so I can keep the temp up to a reasonable level in the case of a blackout.

Good luck on the rebuild. Been there done that!