David's Red Sea Max C130

dgilbert2

After a week my skimmer tube has developed a oily coating on the inside. Should I clean this off or does it help the foaming?

dgilbert2

Talking of the skimmer and thinking about the balance between over skimming and "dry", how full would you expect the skimmer to get in a couple of days on average?

dgilbert2

First coral since 2010, a Frog Spawn and first new addition to my C130. Bought from Wharf Aquatics in Pinxton (UK), an amazing outlet, one of the best I've visited and will certainly go again :yup:. Massive stocks and really helpful and personal service, thanks guys!

2015-06-20%2020.45.56.jpg

dgilbert2

Learning all the time!

A skimmer is new to me so yesterday when I did the same weekly maintenance of sucking up dirt collected in a corner, cleaning round the rocks and changing 14Litres of water, I expected this would kill the skimmer for a couple of days due to reduced organics. WRONG, its gone barmey! I can only assume its down to the disturbance during this cleaning rather than the new water?

I've been done this routine every week for 8 years or so on my old Nano Cube, but first time on the C130 with skimmer.

As I said at the start, learning all the time :fishy::ofr:

Desmond

The tank is looking great allot has happened in the week i was away with your tank :) impressive work. Look forward to seeing more. I have the same skimmer and i get a small amount of skimmate but i dont have any fish yet so i dont expect a huge amount.

dgilbert2

The tank is looking great allot has happened in the week i was away with your tank :) impressive work. Look forward to seeing more. I have the same skimmer and i get a small amount of skimmate but i dont have any fish yet so i dont expect a huge amount.
Thanks, it's been a busy week helped by the fact I have "simply" moved from one tank to another. Adding a couple of fresh new corals does seem to have perked everything up to look at :). Still plenty to do:winky:

dgilbert2

Two weeks today since my move into the C130. My small leather has closed up, but expect him to bounce back bigger than ever in a couple more days. Also, my blue mushrooms have gone much smaller. They never did like the light though and my new 55W tubes are much brighter than they would have been used to. Otherwise, everything else has expanded compared to what they were.

Now have a Tunze 3152 ATO system which will fit later today. Its a powerful little pump, took a bit of priming though with the pipe attached when I tested in the kitchen.

dgilbert2

Just seen the weather forecast for next week in the UK, where we are (East Midlands) highs expected around 31deg C towards end of next week. That will test the cooling capability! So far even though its fairy warm in the day (23/24deg) tank still controlled to 27.5 to 27.8

I'm expecting this to be exceeded though at 31 outside! One of those times in the UK when a few days of a heat wave does not justify domestic air conditioning!?
:sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine:

whip

31deg C would be so nice right now... Nevada is has been at +38deg C for around a week now and we are expecting it for another week. I M melting away over here!

dgilbert2

31deg C would be so nice right now... Nevada is has been at +38deg C for around a week now and we are expecting it for another week. I M melting away over here!
I see your point :fire:
For us in the UK though 10deg on top of todays max (21) is quite a change :pint:

dgilbert2

Tunze Osmolator Nano now fitted so just need to top-up my 25L reservoir every 1-2 weeks. Hopefully that's my time away from home sorted!?
:titanic:

Quite straight forward to install and seems to do exactly what it says on the tin with over top-up protection :)

dgilbert2

The Tunze Osmolator Nano is doing its job 24 hrs on, but I do wish it had some status LED's to tell you if its switched off to protect against overdosing for example. I had cleaned my mechanical filter which caused the system to top up but it had gone into the overdose mode and did not realise until a few hours later. The pump gives the occasional split second pulse when like this but you really cannot hear it.

Lesson learnt to switch off / reset the device after doing some tank maintenance!

Last edited: