Dave's RSM 500

phf

So nice, as usual Dave ! Congratulations !
I guess you still have perfect parameters ? (I am always impressed by the fact that you have so few LR and so low nitrates).

phf

Dave, since I am still fighting with water clearness and noises in the sump, and since you have progressively improved your filtration process along the previous months, would you mind putting here a short reminder on how you have organised things in the sump ? I guess it could be useful for many of us. Here is my understanding :
> back chamber where water flows down from the MT : here is only a sock (200 microns ? 300 ?) and no more original black foam
> skimmer area : C-1800 skimmer, directly put on the bottom of the area (and not on the removable tray provided by redSea), water returns in the back chamber. Have you done anything special to help reducing the noise of the skimmer pump (really noisy for me despite cleanings and regular shaft&bearings checks) ?
> left part of the sump : empty
> media rack : seagel and purigen in socks (or are they elsewhere ?)
> main pump chamber : you have changed the pump to that of the RSM 400
> chiller : is water still supplied from the main pump (which now has a reduced flow compared to the original one) or through an additional pump ? Water returns in the main pump chamber.

Thanks in advance.
Philippe

David Shaw

Dave, since I am still fighting with water clearness and noises in the sump, and since you have progressively improved your filtration process along the previous months, would you mind putting here a short reminder on how you have organised things in the sump ? I guess it could be useful for many of us. Here is my understanding :
> back chamber where water flows down from the MT : here is only a sock (200 microns ? 300 ?) and no more original black foam
> skimmer area : C-1800 skimmer, directly put on the bottom of the area (and not on the removable tray provided by redSea), water returns in the back chamber. Have you done anything special to help reducing the noise of the skimmer pump (really noisy for me despite cleanings and regular shaft&bearings checks) ?
> left part of the sump : empty
> media rack : seagel and purigen in socks (or are they elsewhere ?)
> main pump chamber : you have changed the pump to that of the RSM 400
> chiller : is water still supplied from the main pump (which now has a reduced flow compared to the original one) or through an additional pump ? Water returns in the main pump chamber.

Thanks in advance.
Philippe

Philippe

Here are the answers to your questions..

1) Black foam reduced and a 50 micron filter sock over the two return pipes. I change every 2/3 days

2) I now sit my skimmer onto the shelf. It also sits on a couple of layers of reticulated foam to dampen sound. Make sure your water into the skimmer is not set too low, it is finding the balance between not enough and too much. I set mine so it is open enough so i cant hear the water coming out of the return pipe with the doors closed. Also you will find if you move the skimmer around a little on the shelf, then you find a "quietest spot"

3) Left part of the sump is empty. I have the skimmer clear plastic return pipe pointed into this chamber and have another filter sock over it to help polish the water and reduce water noise

4) Purigen and Seagel in filter bags, no sock.

5) Downsized to the S 400 pump. More than adequate and quieter, and also no sand storms!

6) Water comes into from the tank some to skimmer and some to chiller via the chiller connecting pipe and valve. No additional pumps other than stock. I have the chiller return pipe sat into the main return pump sump chamber (right). This allows for a quicker cool down.

Hope all this helps! Feel free to ask more questions if needed, happy to help.

phf

Yes it helps a lot ! Thanks !
Could you tell me where in the uk you order your filter socks (I have difficulties to find 50 or 100 microns in France) ?
What do you mean when writing "black foam reduced" ? You kept part of the stock ?

David Shaw

No, i meant i sat the skimmer and main return pump on aquatic foam to reduce vibration and noise. I completely ditched the stock black foams.

I get my filter socks from my local fish shop. however you can also order them from here.. they sell the 50 and 100 micron socks.

www.firststopaquatics.co.uk.

Hope this helps you out :)

David Shaw

After a quick visit to the LFS i bought a few pieces of live rock for corals to sit on. Ended up with a bit of a rock re-scape again :) (I know, i know, i know, i am always tweaking).

Well after 4 hours of tweaking, including the weekly water change, it's all done. I will post new pics of the tweaks when the corals have opened up again.

This note to self to stop tweaking and fiddling isn't working :cursin:

oakleyx

Hi Dave,

How many pounds of rock did you use? I just bought 150lbs of marco rock for my 500.

Thanks
-Dan

David Shaw

Hi Dan

I used the roughly the same amount. I go through phases of removing rock and then adding rock. I did a bit of a refresh recently and ditched some old rock, hence the additions i got today.

When i moved over tanks from the 130D, i used the best of the pieces from there and then bought an additional 100lbs. When you get your 500 make allowances for rock displacement so you know how much water volume you have for dosing etc.

You will love the 500, it is so much easier to maintain. I have the weekly water change and clean down to about 30 minutes, once the water has come up to temp.

A little tip i got from my LFS is to fill the ATO right up to the lid, which then gives you 7-10 days of fresh top up water so you really don't have to do much between the water changes. When i filled mine initially to the line on the ATO i only got 5 days, now i don't need to monitor the water level in the sump between weekly maintenence.

David Shaw

I have added a baby rusty angel fish. A week of being chased around and hiding in the rock, but now he has settled in gets along fine with the other angels. I moved around some rocks and that helped. The tank is nice and peaceful now.

I now have 6 angel fish in the tank. I know they are not supposed to get on well, but all mine are fine. I guess the size of the tank helps.

I will post pics soon.

David Shaw

Thanks :) It's nice to know i am not the only one with a harem of angels! Angels are my favourite species and so beautiful in the tank with their bright varied colours.

The Rusty is now swimming openly in the tank and apart from the odd short chase, they are mostly ignoring him, soon they will adopt him like they have with each other. They are definitely getting used to having him in the tank now. Another couple of weeks should see him part of the gang :)

The 2nd little baby Flame is growing quickly, he has almost doubled in size. It's great when you see them all swimming around together.

I am holding out now for some more Bartlett Anthia's. Although if i see any more tiny baby angels i might get tempted! It seems by adding really small ones they don't feel threatened and soon acclimatise.

David Shaw

Thanks Greg. One of these days i need to take some decent quality pics versus iPhone pics. It looks nicer in real life i promise :)