Dave's RSM 500

David Shaw

Tank looks great. Looks bigger with a little less rock. What bulb combination are you using and what is your lighting schedule?

Thanks! Well i use the Red Sea new T5 bulbs in the following combo:

Front Panel & Rear Panels - Blue/White, Pink, Actinic, Blue/White
Middle Panel - Blue/White, Actinic

I have the middle panel come on for 30 mins, then the middle panel off and outer panels on for 4 hours, then the outer panels off and the middle panel back on for 3 1/2 hours.

This gives me a total of 8 hours with equal burn time for all the panels. I don't run with all panels on at the same time.

David Shaw

I pleased some of you guys also are giving the more open look a try. It definitely makes for bigger looking tanks and makes cleaning the glass / maintenance that much easier as nothing is piled up close to or against the sides/back walls. Also gives more water volume in the tank. I now dose based on a water volume of 450 to account for rock displacement, which seems to be working out well.

The fish are all over the new scape exploring and swimming around the entire tank now and not just certain areas, they seem to prefer the open look too. I would defiantly recommend giving it a go. I left lots of open spaces between the rocks and the water circulates nicely around the tank, with no dead spots at the back of the rocks.

Hard to believe the tank will be 2 years old at the beginning of December !!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Diana. I trashed the 3 pieces i removed :)

Maybe you could take them back to the LFS for a store credit? I guess I'm just remembering how much I paid for my rock pieces & I can't imagine throwing any away. I am coming to know what a "pet rock" is, :yup: LOL!!

Choff

When I had a FO SW tank a couple of decades ago the rule was pygmy angels didn't like each other and could only keep 1. Has that been debunked or are you getting very lucky.... Again :D

Sent using Tapatalk 2

David Shaw

Maybe you could take them back to the LFS for a store credit? I guess I'm just remembering how much I paid for my rock pieces & I can't imagine throwing any away. I am coming to know what a "pet rock" is, :yup: LOL!!

They were tatty with some nuisance algae on them. I like a nice clean tank so they had to go ! :)

David Shaw

When I had a FO SW tank a couple of decades ago the rule was pygmy angels didn't like each other and could only keep 1. Has that been debunked or are you getting very lucky.... Again :D

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I have blown that theory out of the water, 5 Angels all living in harmony :)

Choff

Yes you have. Must be something magical going on I will that water. Keep it up!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have blown that theory out of the water, 5 Angels all living in harmony :)

That's SO COOL :geekin: I love the angel fish & I'd so much like to have more than one in my tank. But I don't dare try it. My tank is only 65gal. and my fear of them fighting over rides my want, I guess :(
But your angel tank :angel2: is so AWESOME!! I admire your courage to make it work :thumbup:

David Shaw

Thanks Diana. I think having a large tank helps. However i did have a Lemonpeel and a Flame Angel in my 130D and all got along really well, both are now in the new tank. It can be done but i understand your worries. I have my eye open for another Angel if i can find one small enough (same size as the new baby Flame that i added). Being so small the others just completely ignored it when he went into the tank and now he is part of the family.

A Flame Angel harem is my goal if i can find the right fish :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Just BEAUTIFUL!! I think your tank is my favorite for FISH...Love the Angels & Anthias. :)
AA+ good job :thumbup: