Dave's RSM 500

David Shaw

Here are some new photo's after today's tweaking of the rock scape. A few less rocks and more swim room now. Apologies for the poor quality (iPhone).

The main pump is partially blasting the back of a large rock so i am getting good even flow without substrate blowing around. I have also scrubbed as much of the coralline growth of the skimmer gate as i could.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0223-1.jpg

IMG_0221-1.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0221-1.jpg

IMG_0222-1.jpg

IMG_0223-2.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

modulok

Very Nice! I wish my nem would be more bubbly, during the day he gets massive and spread out so much.

David Shaw

The bubble tip has split and is actually 2 now, since the re-scape, the 2nd one has gone under the original. I am hoping he will creep out and find his own space :)

David Shaw

I have done a little mod on the doors. Reason for this is that my floor is slightly uneven and I couldn't quite get the doors to align properly without gaps, despite fiddling with the various screw settings.

I have now fitted waterproof piano hinges that run the entire length of the door and have also fitted magnetic door catches. Now the doors close perfectly with no gaps.

I had new carpets fitted last week too, so i got the fitters to put a waterproof membrane around the tank under the carpet for extra floor board protection in case of water spills.

IMG_0244_zps96f4cb82.jpg

IMG_0242_zps70064f27.jpg

IMG_0243_zpse54aeb34.jpg

Tokalosh

Looking good Dave, the new aquascaping is so much better.
That leather on the left is going to get a lot bigger you may want to consider moving it more to wards the substrate.

You mentioned that your floor was uneven, are you not worried that this might compromise the tank?

Tok

David Shaw

Looking good Dave, the new aquascaping is so much better.
That leather on the left is going to get a lot bigger you may want to consider moving it more to wards the substrate.

You mentioned that your floor was uneven, are you not worried that this might compromise the tank?

Tok

Thanks Tok I am glad you like the new rock scape, i like the less rocks look a lot. The tank is only out by 1/4 inch, not a lot i can do about it i am afraid. The tank sits on a ply wood base to distribute the load so i am not worried that the tank will get compromised.

I will trade in the leather once it gets too big.

Choff

Awesome scape. I really really like that. The lone rock in front is a nice touch.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

David Shaw

Thanks Choff. I kinda like the less rock more space look now. The single rock out front helps give the tank depth, as i personally don't go for the wall of rock look.

Choff

My first rock scape was similar in idea. I wanted a concave look, but mine ended up looking nothing like yours. Seeing yours makes me want to redo my scape again. Lol.

I can't terrorized my fish again. Maybe when I add my purple tang to throw off the kole.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

David Shaw

I know how you feel, for me it's a major undertaking to re-scape. Takes me days! One night i "would't be beaten" and was scaping 8pm until 4 am!

I get frustrated when i like what i have, try to make it better, then realise i made it worse and preferred it how it was! I am really happy with it now so i am leaving it well alone. All I intend to do from now on is to get small pieces of softies, zoas, mushrooms etc to put on the small ledges etc.

No more re-scaping, no more re-scaping, no more re-scaping..... :)

phf

Hello David, I hope you are doing well with your aquarium.
Have you installed any flow pumps in addition to the RS circulation pumps ? Any controller ?
Are you using floss in addition to the filter sock ? I permanently have very small sediments flowing around despite my filter sock and the water is not cristal clear.

DaddyTLi

I know how you feel, for me it's a major undertaking to re-scape. Takes me days! One night i "would't be beaten" and was scaping 8pm until 4 am!

I get frustrated when i like what i have, try to make it better, then realise i made it worse and preferred it how it was! I am really happy with it now so i am leaving it well alone. All I intend to do from now on is to get small pieces of softies, zoas, mushrooms etc to put on the small ledges etc.

No more re-scaping, no more re-scaping, no more re-scaping..... :)

I know what you mean. Especially if there is a bunch of life stock and lots of rocks to move around.

Tom

GregT

Hi David,

Your aquascape looks really good (you know you're going to retouch it somewhere, sometime) :LOL:
and I love all the Angels.

David Shaw

Thanks Greg. Funny you should say that but i did a minor tweak the other week :) Angels are my favourite fish, so lucky they all get on.

I must post some updated pics soon.

David Shaw

Hello David, I hope you are doing well with your aquarium.
Have you installed any flow pumps in addition to the RS circulation pumps ? Any controller ?
Are you using floss in addition to the filter sock ? I permanently have very small sediments flowing around despite my filter sock and the water is not cristal clear.

All good thanks. I don't have any controllers or additional pumps. I have clear water. Sometimes i get some detrius blow back from the circulation pumps from gunk accumulated in the pump chamber so i try to clean it out as often as i can. Sometimes the orange spot releases small particles too as he works his way across the substrate but that soon clears with the filter socks. I sometimes extra polish the water using reticulated foam in the media tray but usually it's clear water.

David Shaw

I am well overdue some new pics, will try to get some uploaded over the weekend.

Just done my weekly water change and a big tank clean, the back wall hadn't been done for a few weeks and certainly needed it! I also replaced some of the substrate with new live sand to smarten things up. Glad it's all done, been cleaning it all afternoon.

Picked a couple of sand sifting goby's up today too, both have settled in and are hoovering the substrate already.

Pics to follow shortly..