Dave's RSM 500

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dave... seriously can you make a bit of a mess around your tank next time you take pics.... maybe smudge the stand alittle or something... your making us all look like slobs. :D..

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

David Shaw

Sorry, don't do mess. Even wipe the doors clean, if i see even a fingerprint on the glass, i clean until it gleams :)

Time for you to de-slob and join the clean team :)

Heli Dave

Hi Dave, tried moving the skimmer into the bottom of the sump but not fitting very well, which section of the sump did you put it in? Any chance of a picture?
Cheers Dave 2

David Shaw

The middle compartment. Just sit it on the floor instead of on the shelf unit. Rest it on the shelving piece of plastic, neoprene side up. So effectively it simply lowers it from it's current position

David Shaw

The outlet practically sits on the divider and drops into the media compartment where the egg crate is. It clears the divider by about 1/2 inch or so.

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
Hello,
I’m sorry for budging in, but you shouldn’t put the skimmer on the floor of the sump.
If you want to know why, just simulate a power shortage and turn the main pump off.
After all the water comes down, start it…
The skimmer will start floating around and might tip over, and in addition will overflow.
There was a lot of thinking behind every single shelf and knob.
We flooded the lab a few times before adding the pedestal the skimmer is on.:smack:
So take it from my experience, leave the skimmer elevated.
By the way, why would you lower it to begin with?
Hope I helped,
Aviad

David Shaw

I lowered it as it reduced vibrational noise and also i had microbubbles. Once i lowered it onto the base of the sump no microbubbles and no noise.

If i turn everything off to simulate a power failure, nothing overflows and the sump water obviously rises but will not spill out onto the floor. The skimmer obviously floats to one side but that doesn't cause an issue.

I turn the main pump and small pumps off during water changes with no ill effects.

Last edited:

David Shaw

Yup all good thanks Aviad.

After reading your post i re-tried it on the shelf but i got noise and bubbles again, so have put it back onto the sump floor.

Thanks for posting.

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
David,
Do you use the clear skimmer extension?
If you divert the flow to the free sump chamber(to the left) it would reduce the noise and should eliminate the bubbles.
Is the skimmer’s collection cup connected to an external collection container?
Aviad

David Shaw

David,
Do you use the clear skimmer extension?
If you divert the flow to the free sump chamber(to the left) it would reduce the noise and should eliminate the bubbles.
Is the skimmer’s collection cup connected to an external collection container?
Aviad

Thanks Aviad

I tried that, but the sound noise is the deep vibration not the running water. I don't have an eternal collection container, i just rinse and empty the main collection cup every week. Am i doing something wrong?

RedSea Aviad

RS Sponsor
Hi David,
Not at all, everyone has a way of doing things.
I just offered an alternative that is as good as and not better.
Whatever works for you the best.
All the best,
Aviad

David Shaw

Thanks Aviad, i will give it another go on the shelf over the weekend and see if i can get it sorted, if not i am more than happy with it on the sump floor.

I did a big clean tonight, filled up the ATO compartment, cleaned the tank thoroughly, even scrubbed the back wall. I will do the water change tomorrow then i am good to go for a week. Not a spot of algae to be seen now :)

David Shaw

The tank is now 2 months old, so here are some new pics.

A few people have asked for pics from inside the cabinet so have taken a couple. You may notice that I put some purigen into a media bag and cable tied it to the skimmer water outflow. This means the water gets to circulate through the media and the media bag itself helps trap any escaping bubbles. This has contributed to giving me zero micro-bubbles in the tank. There are also a few bags of CPE and Carbon in the media chamber.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0079-1.jpg

IMG_0075-1.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073-1.jpg

IMG_0090-1.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0088-1.jpg

IMG_0087-1.jpg

IMG_00852.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg